Sign in with
Your question

Kind a of a noob, kind of nooby questions.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 28, 2012 3:32:41 AM

Hi! First of all, like the title says I'm kind of a noob and I have some very nooby questions.

I have a Dell Inspiron n7010 with 3GB of RAM.

First of all, I guess I'd like to know if GPUs (Are GPUs what I'm talking about? I'm looking at "Gaming Video Cards" on Dell's website) are compatible with my laptop.

If they're not, what are some generally good laptops to look into?

I'm really into playing The Sims 3 and I have a blog dedicated to it an.. yeah. I'd like to be able to run it quickly, on high quality, with all the extra downloadable content and with allllllll the expansion packs.

Even on the lowest settings the game is unplayable. It took me almost 90 minutes to load today.

If I sounded like an airhead, I promise I'm not, I'm just totally out of my depths right now :sweat: 
a c 291 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 3:41:12 AM

Sorry, your laptop is not upgradeable. Most laptops generally aren't, unless it's a very expensive specialized tech.

Though, I'd suggest looking into getting a desktop. You can get one way cheaper than a laptop. What do you think about it?
m
l
November 28, 2012 3:44:44 AM

Ah, I figured as much. But still.. Darn! I've definitely though about it, but I just don't have anywhere to put it /:

I also like typing my notes in class, so I really do need a laptop. Even if it's a couple hundred more dollars.

I'm looking into Asus laptops right now. I already started looking up which brands tend to be better for gaming when i posted this thread, because I assumed my Dell wasn't upgradable.
m
l
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 3:58:44 AM

Well, you have your current laptop for classes :) . Or were you going to try selling it? Don't you really have no space for a box of 50x20x40 cm?
m
l
November 28, 2012 4:00:51 AM

I think I'm going to end up selling it, saving up, and asking for just money from my parents for Christmas, haha!

I really don't.. my bedroom is smaller than the main bathroom in my house. I don't have a surface in my room for it :/ 
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 4:11:10 AM

I see. Well, what is your budget then?
m
l
November 28, 2012 4:12:32 AM

Around $1200, I think.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 6:28:36 AM

eewitsbree said:
I think I'm going to end up selling it, saving up, and asking for just money from my parents for Christmas, haha!

I really don't.. my bedroom is smaller than the main bathroom in my house. I don't have a surface in my room for it :/ 

You don't have room for something smaller than an xbox 360? Because that's what we can make for you. Heck, we can make one that'll hang on the backside of the monitor, if it's really that bad. Just something to think about - it'd be full HD 1080p and have a heck of a lot better performance.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 6:52:19 AM

Well, if he doesn't have a surface to place monitor on, it's gonna be impossible I think :p .
m
l
November 28, 2012 7:08:03 AM

It kinda sounds like you are dead set on a laptop and to each there own if thats your budget then Sunius kinda hit it right on the money. Just remember what you spend on a laptop you could build a desktop that has 3 4 5 6 ...10 X the power depending the price range and style of laptop.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 7:14:12 AM

That MSI is a great laptop, very powerful.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 7:14:34 AM

Non sense you can put it in the living room build a mini beast!Like i did for when i want to whip my friends ass in gaming i carry it with me to different events.Look how small it is

m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 7:23:56 AM

Sounds like he lives in a small room (for his studies, not at his home).
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 7:29:01 AM

I think you can buy something much cheaper than $1200 if all you want to do is run the sim 3 at max settings.

Are there any other requirements?

something like this is cheap, will do everything you need and is light.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 7:42:52 AM

@esrever: I would not get laptop with integrated graphics for gaming (he said he wants to record gameplay).

@bigcyco1: Looks decent, though for recording 7200 RPM hard drive is needed I'd say.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 7:49:38 AM

You might be right i don't know a lot about laptops i just picked that one because of the specs looked beast for the price
m
l
November 28, 2012 8:44:44 AM

eewitsbree said:
Hi! First of all, like the title says I'm kind of a noob and I have some very nooby questions.

I have a Dell Inspiron n7010 with 3GB of RAM.

First of all, I guess I'd like to know if GPUs (Are GPUs what I'm talking about? I'm looking at "Gaming Video Cards" on Dell's website) are compatible with my laptop.

If they're not, what are some generally good laptops to look into?

I'm really into playing The Sims 3 and I have a blog dedicated to it an.. yeah. I'd like to be able to run it quickly, on high quality, with all the extra downloadable content and with allllllll the expansion packs.

Even on the lowest settings the game is unplayable. It took me almost 90 minutes to load today.

If I sounded like an airhead, I promise I'm not, I'm just totally out of my depths right now :sweat: 

I'd definitely go with a razer laptop none of that alienware bullshit, but if your going to be playing something maybe more strenuous then i'd recommend looking at a desktop, you don't want to buy something and not be able to say run BF3 or Crysis 2.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 9:01:57 AM

HALP_PWEASE said:
That is a beautiful rig good job and amazing cable management :D 

yes, most impressive!
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 6:45:57 PM

Sunius said:
@esrever: I would not get laptop with integrated graphics for gaming (he said he wants to record gameplay).

you might not know how little gpu performance sims 3 requires. You can max the game on integrate graphics. Recording it would just require a fast hard drive.

Windows XP SP2 / Vista SP1
2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
1.5 GB of RAM
6.1 GB of free disk space minimum (with at least 1 GB additional space for personalized content and registration of parties)
Graphics card with 128 MB with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
Latest version of DirectX 9.0c

m
l
!