Kind a of a noob, kind of nooby questions.

Hi! First of all, like the title says I'm kind of a noob and I have some very nooby questions.

I have a Dell Inspiron n7010 with 3GB of RAM.

First of all, I guess I'd like to know if GPUs (Are GPUs what I'm talking about? I'm looking at "Gaming Video Cards" on Dell's website) are compatible with my laptop.

If they're not, what are some generally good laptops to look into?

I'm really into playing The Sims 3 and I have a blog dedicated to it an.. yeah. I'd like to be able to run it quickly, on high quality, with all the extra downloadable content and with allllllll the expansion packs.

Even on the lowest settings the game is unplayable. It took me almost 90 minutes to load today.

If I sounded like an airhead, I promise I'm not, I'm just totally out of my depths right now :sweat:
21 answers Last reply
More about kind noob kind nooby questions
  1. Sorry, your laptop is not upgradeable. Most laptops generally aren't, unless it's a very expensive specialized tech.

    Though, I'd suggest looking into getting a desktop. You can get one way cheaper than a laptop. What do you think about it?
  2. Ah, I figured as much. But still.. Darn! I've definitely though about it, but I just don't have anywhere to put it /:

    I also like typing my notes in class, so I really do need a laptop. Even if it's a couple hundred more dollars.

    I'm looking into Asus laptops right now. I already started looking up which brands tend to be better for gaming when i posted this thread, because I assumed my Dell wasn't upgradable.
  3. Well, you have your current laptop for classes :). Or were you going to try selling it? Don't you really have no space for a box of 50x20x40 cm?
  4. I think I'm going to end up selling it, saving up, and asking for just money from my parents for Christmas, haha!

    I really don't.. my bedroom is smaller than the main bathroom in my house. I don't have a surface in my room for it :/
  5. I see. Well, what is your budget then?
  6. Around $1200, I think.
  7. At that price point you're looking at something like this:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152370
  8. eewitsbree said:
    I think I'm going to end up selling it, saving up, and asking for just money from my parents for Christmas, haha!

    I really don't.. my bedroom is smaller than the main bathroom in my house. I don't have a surface in my room for it :/


    You don't have room for something smaller than an xbox 360? Because that's what we can make for you. Heck, we can make one that'll hang on the backside of the monitor, if it's really that bad. Just something to think about - it'd be full HD 1080p and have a heck of a lot better performance.
  9. Well, if he doesn't have a surface to place monitor on, it's gonna be impossible I think :P.
  10. It kinda sounds like you are dead set on a laptop and to each there own if thats your budget then Sunius kinda hit it right on the money. Just remember what you spend on a laptop you could build a desktop that has 3 4 5 6 ...10 X the power depending the price range and style of laptop.
  11. That MSI is a great laptop, very powerful.
  12. Non sense you can put it in the living room build a mini beast!Like i did for when i want to whip my friends ass in gaming i carry it with me to different events.Look how small it is http://imageshack.us/a/img839/6933/48487380.jpg

    http://imageshack.us/a/img132/8044/32811718.jpg

    http://imageshack.us/a/img534/3383/36710463.jpg
  13. Sounds like he lives in a small room (for his studies, not at his home).
  14. I think you can buy something much cheaper than $1200 if all you want to do is run the sim 3 at max settings.

    Are there any other requirements?

    something like this is cheap, will do everything you need and is light.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230599
  15. @esrever: I would not get laptop with integrated graphics for gaming (he said he wants to record gameplay).

    @bigcyco1: Looks decent, though for recording 7200 RPM hard drive is needed I'd say.
  16. You might be right i don't know a lot about laptops i just picked that one because of the specs looked beast for the price
  17. eewitsbree said:
    Hi! First of all, like the title says I'm kind of a noob and I have some very nooby questions.

    I have a Dell Inspiron n7010 with 3GB of RAM.

    First of all, I guess I'd like to know if GPUs (Are GPUs what I'm talking about? I'm looking at "Gaming Video Cards" on Dell's website) are compatible with my laptop.

    If they're not, what are some generally good laptops to look into?

    I'm really into playing The Sims 3 and I have a blog dedicated to it an.. yeah. I'd like to be able to run it quickly, on high quality, with all the extra downloadable content and with allllllll the expansion packs.

    Even on the lowest settings the game is unplayable. It took me almost 90 minutes to load today.

    If I sounded like an airhead, I promise I'm not, I'm just totally out of my depths right now :sweat:



    I'd definitely go with a razer laptop none of that alienware bullshit, but if your going to be playing something maybe more strenuous then i'd recommend looking at a desktop, you don't want to buy something and not be able to say run BF3 or Crysis 2.
  18. bigcyco1 said:
    Non sense you can put it in the living room build a mini beast!Like i did for when i want to whip my friends ass in gaming i carry it with me to different events.Look how small it is http://imageshack.us/a/img839/6933/48487380.jpg

    http://imageshack.us/a/img132/8044/32811718.jpg

    http://imageshack.us/a/img534/3383/36710463.jpg

    That is a beautiful rig good job and amazing cable management :D
  19. HALP_PWEASE said:
    That is a beautiful rig good job and amazing cable management :D



    yes, most impressive!
  20. Sunius said:
    @esrever: I would not get laptop with integrated graphics for gaming (he said he wants to record gameplay).

    you might not know how little gpu performance sims 3 requires. You can max the game on integrate graphics. Recording it would just require a fast hard drive.

    Windows XP SP2 / Vista SP1
    2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
    1.5 GB of RAM
    6.1 GB of free disk space minimum (with at least 1 GB additional space for personalized content and registration of parties)
    Graphics card with 128 MB with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
    Latest version of DirectX 9.0c
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product