Sign in with
Your question

Recycle bin not showing deleted items

Last response: in Windows 7
March 5, 2012 3:06:49 PM

Recently my recycle bin has lost it's mind. I can delete items but when I go to the recyle bin to view or recover there are no files there. At the bottom it repost 0 files evn though I know they're there. I donot have it set up to skip the recycle bin and just delete. When I go to "empty recycle bin" even though it reports 0 files it says do you want to delete all of these items. Sometimes it goes as far as to say " these 3 or 4 or whatever items. reporting that ther are files there but not viewable. Obviously this makes recovery impossible. I've tried deleting the $recycle.bin file and let windows put it back and then reboot to no avail. It just puts it back broken as before. Ive tried running command promt as administrator with the following command: C:\windows\system32>rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin [then it enter] to no avail. It just says "system 32 is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch file" No matter what Ive tried it just doesn't work. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Right now all I have is system restore but I'm not sure when the problem started to know which date to restore to.
a c 243 $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 4:34:17 PM

"System32" is a folder and not a command. Are you sure you entered the remove directory command properly?
m
l
March 5, 2012 6:06:04 PM

This is what I entered: C:\windows\system32>rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

It's fixed now though. I booted into safe mode to have access to files that win won't let me into or delete. I deleted $Recycle.bin folder. I also deleted a folder called Recycler. MS security essentials said I had a Trojan
trojan:Win32/Sirefef.P It was in a folder of a program I downloaded over a week ago. Why it waited until now to tell me is unknown but it makes me want to go back to CA antivirus. It NEVER let me down not once in the years I used it. It didn't make sense to continue to pay for it when there are free alternatives like MSSE AVG has failed me in the past a couple times so it's out of the equation. After allowing for the removal of the Trojan and removal of all things recycle bin everything appears to be normal now but the Trojan thing still makes me uneasy.
m
l
Related resources
a c 243 $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 6:35:57 PM

Run malwarebytes (from malwarebytes.org) to make sure all of the nasties are indeed gone. Good luck!
m
l
October 13, 2012 2:20:01 AM

Rigit said:
This is what I entered: C:\windows\system32>rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

It's fixed now though. I booted into safe mode to have access to files that win won't let me into or delete. I deleted $Recycle.bin folder. I also deleted a folder called Recycler. MS security essentials said I had a Trojan
trojan:Win32/Sirefef.P It was in a folder of a program I downloaded over a week ago. Why it waited until now to tell me is unknown but it makes me want to go back to CA antivirus. It NEVER let me down not once in the years I used it. It didn't make sense to continue to pay for it when there are free alternatives like MSSE AVG has failed me in the past a couple times so it's out of the equation. After allowing for the removal of the Trojan and removal of all things recycle bin everything appears to be normal now but the Trojan thing still makes me uneasy.

I had the same problem but on further research I found out that if there is an external device connected then that might cause the problem. I disconnected the external drive and lo and behold the hidden deleted items appeared large as life
m
l
October 13, 2012 10:11:46 AM

This may be changed by malware. You may run Malwarebyte or Anivi malware fiter or somthing like this to get it fixed.

How to keep things unchanged? You may consider some image tool like YesShield.
m
l
!