Sign in with
Your question

Advice on building PC for general home use- surfing/ movies

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2013 10:00:02 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: immediately

Budget Range: no fixed budget limit. May be £1000/- excluding monitor, keyboard and mouse.

System Usage from Most to Least Important:Internet during, hd movies, occasionally games

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:no preference

Parts Preferences:have selected few parts;
Corsair Obsidian Case 800d
Asus P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard
Intel Core i7 (3770) 3.4GHz
Kingston Technology 16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W Power Supply Unit
Will add SSD, Bluray

Overclocking:No
SLI or Crossfire:

Monitor Resolution: I have a samsung led TV which I am thinking of using as monitor. (1920/1080)
Additional Comments:quiet pc

Not sure if these parts are going to work together. If not any suggestions?
Struggling to choose graphic card and what cooling to use. Any suggestions?
January 12, 2013 10:13:36 AM

This build is an overkill for such a usage.
January 12, 2013 10:23:03 AM

It's safe to say that any machine with SLI or Crossfire is not going to be quite under any circumstance other than being turned off.

That said, the build you are proposing has built-in video in the form of the on-board HD4000 (i7-3770) and will adequately run the internet and HD movies for you. It will also play some games adequately but not the more graphics intensive games like Crysis and BF3.

Since a goal of any HTPC is "quiet", the build you have suggested is already there. You can add a single card such as the Nvidia GTX 660ti and gain a substantial amount of gaming performance (not to mention better video decode from your BluRay player) but it will add some fan noise. the nice thing about it is the noise will be minimal until you start seriously gaming, at that point, the noise is not really an issue IMHO.
Related resources
January 12, 2013 10:26:38 AM

ilysaml said:
This build is an overkill for such a usage.

Without knowing which games Naveed wants to play, you can't really say that.
January 12, 2013 10:45:42 AM

As ilysaml said, overkill. Oddly enough overkill in some/most areas and not enough in others. i7 for surfing? i3 and pentiums are plenty for that. Light gaming with no GPU? Bad idea. 16GBs of ram for blu ray videos?

I'd build with an i5, 8GBs (or 16GBs if you have the money and don't mind spending it.), and a quiet GTX650TI or 7770. If really used for an HTPC you also need much more hdd space. A single 1TB will fill up to fast, more so if you will be ripping Blu rays to the drive. Put the OS on the SSD, use a blue drive for any programs, and load up on 2-4TB green drives for space. Trust me, a HTPC can never have enough space.

Edit: Also meant to mention the PSU. Review says it could be better. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Si... With no OCing and a small GPU for light gaming, you don't need anything so large. Get a gold 450-500W PSU and you'll be fine.
January 12, 2013 12:44:04 PM

JeauxBleaux said:
Without knowing which games Naveed wants to play, you can't really say that.

System Usage from Most to Least Important:Internet during, hd movies, occasionally games
January 12, 2013 2:24:30 PM

Thanks for all the useful comments. Agree it probably is an overkill. Guess was excited at the thought of building it myself. I just want a fast all-round PC.
I will look into the recommended options. Liked advice on SSD/HD and PSU. Makes good sense. Will follow.
January 12, 2013 3:57:00 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£86.22 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£101.98 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£35.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£127.92 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£72.80 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£169.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case (£70.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£67.94 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £758.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-12 17:56 GMT+0000)
January 13, 2013 1:44:20 AM

Better build. Not sure I agree with the drives and GPU still. Depends on how he wants to configure his storage and what he means by occasional games. Still better overall.
January 14, 2013 9:18:44 PM

Thanks ilysaml.
Only play when my nephews visit us. games like call of duty etc. So i don't mind having a good GPU and I can afford it. :) 
January 14, 2013 9:40:35 PM

This build should do you well.
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I'm not sure if you can order from Newegg in the UK.

The CPU is a quad core processor that will be perfect for what you're doing. The video card I chose isn't expensive and will play Call of Duty and other minor games well. The case doesn't have any glaring lights that will affect your movie viewing experience.
!