Sign in with
Your question

PC freezing while playing games

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2013 1:01:54 PM

Hello,

I've had my current PC for over a year now and it has been running with no problems until yesterday. While re-plugging my keyboard i accidentally pressed the Clr-CMOS button and i wasn't able to boot up, everything was working, all the fans and everything, but i wasn't able to go to the boot screen or load up my windows. I'm not very technical at this sort of stuff so i sent my pc to a friend who sorted things out for me and was now able to boot up, but now I'm getting a very frustrating error; every game i play freezes my computer solid after 5 - 15 mins of gameplay and the only option left is to restart my pc. I go back to my friends house and my pc works there just fine, then i return home and bam, same freeze.

I noticed that he had a smaller monitor with a smaller res than mine so after i switch my res from 1920x1080 to something like 1024 x 768 and play for a while nothing happens, the game runs fine and everything's ok, but when i switch back to my older res and play for 15 mins it starts freezing again and i have to restart.

I ran GPU-Z and noticed nothing out of the ordinary after the crash, all the temps seem normal and same goes to the voltage.

As said before, i never had any problems with my PC up until that Clr-CMOS incident. Any help?

My setup:

Radeon 6970 MSI Lightning
Intel i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz with custom Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus cooler
12GB RAM
Asrock Z68 Professional Gen3 Motherboard
H.E.C PSU 600W

More about : freezing playing games

a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2013 6:11:53 PM

You PC shouldn't have issues running at 1080p. Resetting your cmos shouldn't affect your gaming either. Is it just a freeze or does anything else happen like it loops audio, monitor goes black, artifacting, jagged lines across screen, random beeps, louder fan noise?
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2013 6:45:41 PM

crewton said:
You PC shouldn't have issues running at 1080p. Resetting your cmos shouldn't affect your gaming either. Is it just a freeze or does anything else happen like it loops audio, monitor goes black, artifacting, jagged lines across screen, random beeps, louder fan noise?

The screen freezes and the audio loops, nothing else, no louder fan noise, no nothing, just a complete system freeze.
m
l
January 12, 2013 7:01:44 PM

now that you mentioned, i did notice some artifacting right before the PC froze.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2013 9:24:39 PM

Hmmm, do you have MSI's afterburner or EVGA's precision? I wonder if your gpu fan isn't kicking in while playing and it's overheating. MSI also has kombustor which works inside of afterburner so you can see how hot your card gets when you put it through the paces. It seems to me that you are overheating the card and the more you do it the more likely it's going to fry especially if you are starting to see some artifacting.
m
l
January 13, 2013 1:54:34 PM

crewton said:
Hmmm, do you have MSI's afterburner or EVGA's precision? I wonder if your gpu fan isn't kicking in while playing and it's overheating. MSI also has kombustor which works inside of afterburner so you can see how hot your card gets when you put it through the paces. It seems to me that you are overheating the card and the more you do it the more likely it's going to fry especially if you are starting to see some artifacting.

Well i noticed something else yesterday, i tried turning off the monitor right before the PC froze and by doing so, for some odd reason, this prevented the PC from freezing. I did get an error message that says "displayport lower setting applied" after doing so. This morning i got an HDMI to DVI cable, connected it to my GPU and so far I've been playing GW2 for about an hour with no problems. Could my older display port cable be the problem? if so, why did it show up now?
m
l
!