Sign in with
Your question

Custom gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2013 2:32:23 PM

Hi guys

I want to build a custom gaming rig from my existing pc. The pc I have is pretty crappy and I bought it in 2006 for medium level games and school work. Is it advisable to use my existing pc, or should I start from scratch? Also my budget is up between 250/300eur, I know it's not much but it's what I can afford atm.

Also, I would like to be able to play new games that come out this year on high graphics level with no lag. I don't know if that's possible on my budget but hey.Thanks for your time :) 

More about : custom gaming

January 12, 2013 2:50:05 PM

List you PC parts please so we can see if some can be reused.
The cheap way is going amd but even likethat 300 eurs is not ggood to make much difference.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2013 2:51:19 PM

What you're asking is probably not possible. And there's probably nothing you can do with a system from 2006. You need to give way more info. screen resolution, what hardware you have, what games etc
Related resources
January 12, 2013 2:55:54 PM

You might need to lower expectations.
Letting us know what the off the shelf computer is might help. Some manufactures make it nearly impossible to fix or upgrade a pre-built PC. If your unit is a slim factor or MATX this is a safe bet. Likewise with upgrading a laptop.

As far as new titles are concerned the high bar will most likely be set by Crysis 3, which the publisher has already said will “melt your PC”.

To run Crysis 3 at Max settings you will need a PCIe 3.0 motherboard graphics card and processor. That puts you with an i5, a 77 series chipset and a 660i or 7770 or better video card. You will also need above 4gb of DDR3. Those components alone eat up your budget and then some.

However a 22nm i3 will only set you back $100 US (not sure about conversion) with a modest H77 motherboard is $70. And a good 4gb ram kit is $35. A 660i is about $200. With that you will be able to play nearly every game out there on least medium settings without killing your budget.
January 12, 2013 3:15:07 PM

Sorry for not being clear on the pc specs. The pc has the following specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+ @ 2.2GHz
RAM: 960MB
Graphics card: Radeon Xpress 200 Series
That's what I could find. I have no idea what motherboard or soundcard I have, I'm clueless when it comes to pc's :D 

Okay, maybe I was setting the bar way too high... How about a 500eur budget and newish games on medium like groundrat suggested?
January 12, 2013 3:16:32 PM

groundrat said:
You might need to lower expectations.
Letting us know what the off the shelf computer is might help. Some manufactures make it nearly impossible to fix or upgrade a pre-built PC. If your unit is a slim factor or MATX this is a safe bet. Likewise with upgrading a laptop.

As far as new titles are concerned the high bar will most likely be set by Crysis 3, which the publisher has already said will “melt your PC”.

To run Crysis 3 at Max settings you will need a PCIe 3.0 motherboard graphics card and processor. That puts you with an i5, a 77 series chipset and a 660i or 7770 or better video card. You will also need above 4gb of DDR3. Those components alone eat up your budget and then some.

However a 22nm i3 will only set you back $100 US (not sure about conversion) with a modest H77 motherboard is $70. And a good 4gb ram kit is $35. A 660i is about $200. With that you will be able to play nearly every game out there on least medium settings without killing your budget.

Thanks for the info :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
January 12, 2013 3:21:20 PM

Regardless of the specs, I'd keep the 6 old PC as a spare and build new one from scratch. I'd say the same if it was 3+ years old. Other than peripherals, (monitor, mouse, KB), I wouldn't even consider any 3+ year old parts as worth my time and effort to move over.

A "decent" gaming PC capable of playing the most popular games, sorry to say starts at about $1,000. For your budget, ya might wanna read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-do-it...
January 12, 2013 3:25:07 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Regardless of the specs, I'd keep the 6 old PC as a spare and build new one from scratch. I'd say the same if it was 3+ years old. Other than peripherals, (monitor, mouse, KB), I wouldn't even consider any 3+ year old parts as worth my time and effort to move over.

A "decent" gaming PC capable of playing the most popular games, sorry to say starts at about $1,000. For your budget, ya might wanna read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-do-it...

Yea, you're right, it's better to just start over. Better start saving! Thanks man.
!