beretat

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
having problem with internet...

I have internet with bell sympatico(canada,toronto) modem (SpeedStream 4200) - router (D-link DHP-1320)

router is beeing used for wifi internet connection and wired vonage voip telephone(router RTP300 LinkSys)

every now and then internet drops,but wifi stays solid...

do not know much about proper setup, but here is what I have done:

modem
- i have never setup anything on this device, not even sure if I can(bell rental)

main router d-link
-set up PPPoE login info
-I set up Enable DHCP Server + DHCP Reservation within dhcp range for the voip router and some of my devices (not all)

Voip router
-restored to factory defaults and disabled dhcp

the cure right now is to unplug my Modem plug back in and Internet is back on, not sure what needs to be setup, or what i should take note of... dont really see any pattern in internet drops

here is some info from the main router:

Connection Type: PPPoE Connected

Cable Status : Connected
Network Status : Established
Connection Up Time : 0 Day, 4:58:59

IP Address : 64.229.177.44
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway : 64.230.197.235
Primary DNS Server : 207.164.234.193
Secondary DNS Server : 207.164.234.129
Advanced DNS : Disabled

LAN
IP Address : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway : 0.0.0.0
Primary DNS Server : 0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS Server : 0.0.0.0

LAN
IP Address : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server : Enabled

Wireless LAN
Wireless Radio : Enabled
Network Name (SSID) : TomasDlink
Channel : 11
Security Mode : AUTO (WPA or WPA2) - PSK

LAN Computers
IP Address Name (if any) MAC
192.168.0.196 Family-PC
192.168.0.101 UNKNOWN
192.168.0.100 Faa-HP
192.168.0.199 UNKNOWN

zer0net

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
from what you describe sounds like Bell issue.
get cable. I've always had issues with Bell.

Also try calling Bell tech support and see if they can diagnose and rule out that its their issue.

beretat

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

there is a log on my main router, i will try to get the info once it will happen again, maybe it will shine more light on the issue...

bell tech support expect you to have modem connected to your phone jack with wire shorter than 3 feet, and use on one computer with eternet wire again shorter than 3 feet, once u mention you have router issue they dont provide support ... now imagine u mention VOIP service hehe...

as of now it is not easy for me to switch provider

beretat

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
here is a log while I didnt have access to internet
can some one shed some light on it for me? thx

Die Exit.
Sent PADT
rp_pppoe send PADT to terminate the session ID that sent last time
RP-PPPoE plugin inform wantimer to reset auth, discovery variable
RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.3
Plugin /lib/pppd/2.4.3/rp-pppoe.so loaded.
Die Exit.
Sent PADT
rp_pppoe send PADT to terminate the session ID that sent last time
pppd 2.4.3 started by root, uid 0
RP-PPPoE plugin inform wantimer to reset auth, discovery variable
RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.3
Plugin /lib/pppd/2.4.3/rp-pppoe.so loaded.
Die Exit.
Sent PADT

zer0net

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Yep that sounds like Bell.
Just to rule out Bell, can you just bypass the router and plug the modem directly to the computer. And see if you experience any internet disconnections. If you do then its Bell for sure, quick internet search showed that other people experiencing same issues replaced their modem to solve it.

as for bell recommending 3ft. they are nuts. Cat5 is good for 100m.

beretat

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
just got off phone with bell, they said there is no problem with line, but connection between modem and router....

their modem is faster(year2005) than my router(year2011) and my router cannt keep up not sure what to think of that... but he did offer faster connection plan and their wireless router.... 25mps and 100G cap(curently Im unlimited)

zer0net

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

sorry for ridiculously late reply,
Did you try bypassing the router and connecting the modem directly to your computer, or do you have another router laying around? this is just to rule out the router as the problem.

I dont think you need to upgrade the plan unless u want to, Bell is just trying to sell you stuff u dont need.

beretat

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
yes I did connect computer straight to the modem, around 50' Ethernet cable, where bell recommends max 3', and got similar problems, so bell beloved patriot info line told me that it might be connecting with wrong password, could not explain to me that i was online 5 minutes at time..

anyway couple more phone calls to pakistan and decided to cancel bell internet all together they didn’t charge any penalties because of the technical difficulties,(not even 2nd level supervisor didn’t know how to be fixed, instead try to blame my equipment, router) customer service afterwords offered me 1/2 year 1/2 off for the internet, but i just couldn’t take it, and ran....

now I’m 1st week with primus :sol: , not a single freeze, and download averages 4mb/s for half price of bell(2mb/s), and is unlimited...

as an icing on a cake , today bell technician called me where am I , he is at my hose to restore the internet for me, what a nice people....