Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help setting up network for 30 users, 1 100mbps connection

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 9, 2012 7:34:25 PM

I run a small apartment complex and have had problems with network for quite some time. Currently I have two 25mpbs connections both connected to a router and servicing 15 people each. Obviously that is too many users for 1 router and a lot of them are very high broadband users.

I have come up with a solution but I am unsure about how to go about it. It is actually cheaper and I will get more bandwidth if I upgrade my connection to a single 100mbps connection. The building is essentially split into two different residence halls both having 15 rooms.

I am completely open to anything but after doing some research I have decided would like to run 6 total access points, 3 per hall. I have a basic understanding of setting up home wireless networks but I dont know anything at all about setting up access points. Would I need to have all 6 access points connected to one router? I really just dont know how to/ what to connect this many access points to.

Thanks ahead!

Jordan

Best solution

January 10, 2012 6:58:20 PM

This is really a fairly complex question, not so much for the technical setup issues, but the legal/user limit issues.

Much of the answer depends on your budget. If we keep it simple and as cheap as possible you would use consumer grade equipment, like one router from the WAN to 6 DLink 655DIR units configured as wireless access points. Or you can go with professional quality and more expensive equipment, like THIS.

Can you (or do you already have) CAT 5 wiring from the central point to the three points in each hall where you would place an AP?

Do you want to limit bandwidth to each user so that nobody hogs the connection? And you probably want some sort of user agreement that users will agree not to do unlawful stuff like run torrent servers that will eat bandwidth and do unlawful things on your network.

A good resource to review would be the general wireless FAQ and THIS.
January 10, 2012 9:41:19 PM

Thank you very much for the help! My responses are below in red

RealBeast said:

Much of the answer depends on your budget. If we keep it simple and as cheap as possible you would use consumer grade equipment, like one router from the WAN to 6 DLink 655DIR units configured as wireless access points. Or you can go with professional quality and more expensive equipment, like THIS.

Definitely planning on staying with consumer grade. I think most of the issues that I have with the slow network are because probably half of the people play on xboxlive/ps3, which dont run wireless N (right?) That being said, is there really any reason to put money into 6 wireless N routers when I could probably get away with G routers (set up as access points)?

Would the access points all be connected to a wired router? Is there anything I need to look for when I look at (at least) 6 port wired routers?

Can you (or do you already have) CAT 5 wiring from the central point to the three points in each hall where you would place an AP?

Yeah running the ethernet cord will be very simple.

Do you want to limit bandwidth to each user so that nobody hogs the connection?

I would probably just assume not deal with it unless for some reason I have to down the road.

And you probably want some sort of user agreement that users will agree not to do unlawful stuff like run torrent servers that will eat bandwidth and do unlawful things on your network.

Yeah I have all of that handled already.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2012 10:23:28 PM

DLink DIR655 is a fairly inexpensive, but great router that also is a very good access point. Personally, I would not buy B/G only equipment to save a couple bucks per unit, but that is really up to you.

Look over the links that I included above, but yes, the best performance solution is to have all of the distant access points attached to the router with CAT5, otherwise they will use half their bandwidth acting as repeaters.

You really only need a four port router, you can buy a cheap switch to attach and expand the number of ports. Unless you find a cheap 8 port router, I would just use another DLink DIR655 as your router.
m
l
January 10, 2012 10:37:19 PM

RealBeast said:
DLink DIR655 is a fairly inexpensive, but great router that also is a very good access point. Personally, I would not buy B/G only equipment to save a couple bucks per unit, but that is really up to you.

Look over the links that I included above, but yes, the best performance solution is to have all of the distant access points attached to the router with CAT5, otherwise they will use half their bandwidth acting as repeaters.

You really only need a four port router, you can buy a cheap switch to attach and expand the number of ports. Unless you find a cheap 8 port router, I would just use another DLink DIR655 as your router.

Okay, that all makes sense now. I think I have it for the most part figured out, but I do have one more question. I already have three linksys G routers (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Linksys+-+Wireless-G+Broadb...). Do you see any problem with using these in addition to the DIR655s?
m
l
January 11, 2012 12:17:56 PM

I've used those with great success for routers in wireless G networks, but not as an AP but THIS guide says it does work well and has specific instructions.

No they should work together, but will only do B/G. Any good brands should work together fine as long as they both can do at least one wireless type in common, i.e. both can do G.
m
l
January 12, 2012 6:20:13 PM

Realbeast, I owe you big time. Thank you very much for all your help.
m
l
January 12, 2012 6:20:34 PM

Best answer selected by jwbehm.
m
l
!