Will these specs work?

mrhello123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hi, 2 days ago I posted a question asking if a set of pc specs would work. I got a lot of very useful and helpful responses. I have carried on looking on the internet and I have found an even better set of specs that only cost a total of £390. I now this isn't very much for a gaming pc but it doesn't include a monitor or wireless keyboard. I already have a copy of windows 7 and office 2012 so I don't need to budget for them. As I said in my last post I will not be playing any games such as BF3 as I play them on my xbox, which I enjoy. I will not be buying the system for a few months as I am going to wait till my birthday and go half on it with my parent. I have been told not to spend more than £450 and my sister is going to be buying my old laptop off me for around £30. Please could somebody tell me if the specs that are listed below would work or if I need to change anything.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3350P 3.1GHz (I know the 3570k is better but I can't afford it)
Motherboard: Asus P8B75-V B75 Socket 1155 ATX
GPU: XFX DD Core Edition Radeon HD 7770 1GB GDDR5
HDD: Seagate 500GB 7200RPM
DVD-RW 24x Liteon IHAS124 OEM
RAM: 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz
Wi-Fi: Dynamode WL-700-11NX 300MBPS
Case: CiT Black Ops ATX Case with 500W PSU (this case, unlike the others that I have looked at says that it's motherboard Form factor is only ATX, with the case form factor being Micro ATX)

Also if anybody knows anywhere to get cheap 1080p monitors for the uk.

Thanks in advance.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Yes the psu that comes with the case is probably crap. You might also want to consider getting a better gpu because you will soon find that the 7770 will be inefficient for gaming. I think a radeon 7870 would be a better option. In a few months prices will go down a little and you should be able to afford that.

And for that power supply. Get a 500-600w psu from a respected brand like corsair, antec, ocz, etc. These are not the best of the best brand but they are good for the money. Just make sure to avoid the no name brands. There is simply too many psu's on the market to recommend one. It all depends on what's on sale at the moment and since I don't know where you are shopping for parts, I cant suggest one.

mrhello123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
So about the wait to reply and thanks for the reply. One of the main games that I want to play on my PC is day z and farming sim 2013. I have been on game debate and it said that this system would be able to play both them games on high settings at smooth fps. Do you know if you can get a 600w psu in a case already as the 500w in a case was about £30 less than buying them both individuality.

If you check the specs of that PSU designed for a P4 system, it has way too low +12v rail. You're buying high quality components along with a crappy PSU. That just doesn't make sense because a quality PSU is required for a stability and components protection. As Azn Cracker suggested, get a quality PSU and keep the case that you selected if you really like it, but don't use the PSU for your build. An inexpensive PSU like this Corsair http://www.scan.co.uk/products/430w-corsair-builder-series-cmpsu-430cxv2uk-80plus-bronze-eff-uncertified-quiet-fan-atx-v23-psu has much better specs than the 500W PSU included with the case.

That will be difficult. Where could you buy a case and PSU?

It's better than the other one that you selected before. All components that you selected are very good, but you want to install them into a cheap case (not an issue other than noise) and use a low-quality PSU. Can't you spend at least another £20 on a quality 400W or more PSU?

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Its not necessarily the amount of power but the quality. That does not seem like a quality PSU.
Antec, seasonic, corsair, etc make good PSUs. 550 watts should be fine for your system. Try to stay away from PSUs under thirty pounds.

mrhello123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
i know that I should stay away from psu's under £30 but i don't have the money to spend lots on it as my case is about £30 aswell. Is ace a bad brand cause i can always upgrade later.

If your budget is too tight, cut back somewhere else, and hope for money to upgrade later. The PSU is the worst component to try to cut corners with, because a sufficiently bad one could conceivably fry everything else in the system, and I don't think hardware warranties would cover that.

You'd be better off with a quality 400W than a cheap 600W. The 700W Storm provides a single 6pin PCI-E Power connector like 400W PSUs.

Quality PSUs that are powerful enough for your selected components:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/400w-antec-high-current-gamer-hgc-400-88-eff-80-plus-bronze-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-v23-psu
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-corsair-builder-series-cx-cp-9020047-uk-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-psu
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/380w-seasonic-s12ii-380-85-eff-uncertified-fan-atx-psu
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/430w-corsair-builder-series-cmpsu-430cxv2uk-80plus-bronze-eff-uncertified-quiet-fan-atx-v23-psu

mrhello123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
This is the psu that have just found http://www.scan.co.uk/products/700w-storm-silent-lpk19-35-uncertified-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-v22-psu , is this any good. I know that I should just drop down to an i3 but the i5 in my opinion is more future proof as in a few years dual core cpu's will not perform on future games like a quad core. This is why I want an i5 not an i3. This psu does have a 6 pin pci-e power connector. It is also very similar to the one that is used in the jackfrags steam box build. In the video it says that storm psu's are good and will last, he also said that they are good for budget builds, like mine.

mrhello123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Do you think it would be better to drop down to 4gb of RAM, save £13 and spend that on the psu. If I get a case for around £20 that will leave me about £30 for a PSU. If anybody can find one at that price please let me know.

Thanks