chilli

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Hi all,
I have had the same PC for a number of years now and about 18 months ago, it reached the limit of how I can upgrade it and it is starting to show it's age.

It's been a while since I spec'd out my own PC so I could do with some advise.

Here is what I currently have:

Asus Maximus Formula (first edition)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (sometimes over clocked but mostly not)
8GB Kingston (4 x 2GB) I forget the exact name of the memory as it was so long since I bought it... but it is PC2-6400.
Various hard drives which will be the only components I will transfer, including an OCZ Agility 3 SSD 240GB and a 300GB VelociRaptor
XFX GeForce 8800 GTX - this was an old card after the water cooling leaked out all over the card I previously had. Sufficed to say I no longer have nor ever wish to have a water cooled PC ever again!
1000W PSU (moduler) - again I forget what make and model it is as it has been so long since I bought it!
The case is Thermaltake and was built for water cooling. I would definitely like a new case.

As I say, only the drives will be what I keep.

I am looking to spend £1000 - £1500 and considering getting it on finance so it may be up to £2000 if I can get all the components from the same site should they offer any kind of finance options.

I have been impressed with the Asus motherboard and would be interested in having the latest version of the board, but am very open to suggestion.

In a way, because I have not really bought myself much of late, nor have I built any PC's for friends in a long time, I am very out of touch so I probably need some pointing in the right direction to focus my research :)

I mainly use the PC for gaming on dual Samsung SyncMaster P2450 monitors. I also use it for hosting some VM machines for playing about with server o/s's
I do not need to worry about an OS license as work pay for such things (thank god!)