Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading advice for a family of gamers

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2013 4:36:19 PM

Greetings everyone! First off, thank you for taking the time out of your day/night to read my question, and thank you in advance for any advice you post here. Here within the next 30 days, I plan on upgrading my computer, and my wife's computer. Last year, purchased a new case, and power supply for us both, and I currently have a 560ti video card. What I need to upgrade, is the following:

2 new motherboards
2 new processors
16 GB of RAM (each system)
and a new video card for her

That's all I need to upgrade. I'd like to keep it around the $1000 mark, but I'd rather go over than under. I'd like to stay with Intel, only because of the i7 hype, but I'm not opposed to AMD either. However, if we are talking a $20 dollar difference, I'd rather stick with Intel. RAM brand doesn't matter to me, but I need something reliable here. Same thing with the motherboard. I'd rather get a nice solid motherboard, as opposed to getting something cheap that's garbage.

We use these machines for gaming, and it's been a while since our last major upgrade. We both have Q6600 Quads, so anything will be an upgrade at this point. I want a machine that can handle gaming, and live streaming. She needs a machine that can do general gaming (The Sims 3, Skyrim, etc.)

I do not plan to overclock, so no worries there.

We already have nice cases, and 800w Corsair PSUs.

Thanks again community! I appreciate all the help!
!