Sign in with
Your question

Issue getting digital display on extended monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 28, 2012 1:01:43 PM

I have two viewsonic lcd monitors (vx2035wm, vx2235wm). they both have vga and dvi ports. I also have an Asus p8z68 v pro/gen3 motherboard with an ivy bridge i5 3750 cpu. The motherboard has 1 vga, 1 dvi, and 1 hdmi video output. I'm using the hd 4000 graphics on the cpu for my video. My OS is window 7 ultimate 64 bit.

My 22" screen works perfect with the dvi or hdmi video outputs but the 20" will only work in analog mode with the vga input. It will show the post screen then the windows 7 startup icon then go to digital no signal.. when in analog mode it boots all the way..

When I use only the 20" monitor alone I get the same results. Digtal no signal then goes to energy saver mode and analog mode boots all the way.

In the resolution properties I only can see the 22" when the 20" is using the dvi port and can see both monitors when the 20" is using the vga port.

If it were a hd graphics problem I would think that I wouldn't be able to use the dvi port on the 22" monitor as well... I'm wondering if I have a corrupt edid on the 20" monitor...

What do you guys think?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 28, 2012 2:36:08 PM

vga is an analog signal. If you want to use digital you need to use a dvi cable.
m
l
November 29, 2012 11:23:08 AM

wanderer11 said:
vga is an analog signal. If you want to use digital you need to use a dvi cable.

Thats the problem. It only works with the vga input not the dvi input. My 22" monitor works with both.

I'm trying to determine if it's a software or hardware problem with the 20" monitor. Both monitors worked with digital display when they were hooked up to my old computer.

I had a P4 with Windows 2000 with a dual dvi ouput ATI graphics card. Now I have a i5 3750 with HD 4000 graphics on the cpu, windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, asus p8z68 v pro/gen3 with 1 vga, 1 dvi, 1 hdmi.

The 22" monitor will work with any of the outputs on the motherboard. The 20" monitor will only work with the vga output.

Viewsonic vx2035wm and Viewsonic vx2235wm

When using the dvi cable the monitor will show the post screen then the windows startup screen then before it gets to the logon screen it goes to no signal.

When using the vga cable the monitor will boot to the logon screen.

I know the cables are good because I can use all of them on the 22" monitor. I just have no way to test the 20" monitor for digital compatibility with windows 7 or if it may be something with the edid on the monitor that windows 7 doesn't know that it can work in digital mode
m
l
Related resources
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 29, 2012 12:46:16 PM

Check your motherboard manual. It sounds like you are limited to using a single digital interface. If you want to use dual monitors, your motherboard manual should outright tell you either how to use both digital interfaces or that you can only use one and must use analog for the other.

-Wolf sends
m
l
November 29, 2012 12:51:18 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Check your motherboard manual. It sounds like you are limited to using a single digital interface. If you want to use dual monitors, your motherboard manual should outright tell you either how to use both digital interfaces or that you can only use one and must use analog for the other.

-Wolf sends

That's one thing I was thinking of. Maybe I can only use the dvi or the hdmi outputs and not both.... but I couldn't find it in the manual that came with the motherboard. I'll try and contact asus and see what they say.

thanks
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 29, 2012 3:38:25 PM

Hmm.. Well pg 2-43 seems to debunk my thoughts on the matter:

Quote:
This motherboard comes with multiple VGA output that features desktop extension on two monitors. You can connect two monitors to any two of the onboard VGA, DVI-D, and HDMI ports. Note that DVI-D/HDMI dual output works in OS environment only and that during POST or BIOS setup, only DVI-D output is valid.

1) Does your system require a password to login? If so you should be able to tell without seeing it when the login screen is open. What happens if you type in the password (regardless of whether you can see the login screen or not)?

2) Are you using a DVI-D single-link or dual-link cable?

3) Is there any particular reason you need to use both digital interfaces? If your configuration works by using the VGA output, then (assuming all else fails), why not?

-Wolf sends
m
l
November 29, 2012 11:13:37 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Hmm.. Well pg 2-43 seems to debunk my thoughts on the matter:

Quote:
This motherboard comes with multiple VGA output that features desktop extension on two monitors. You can connect two monitors to any two of the onboard VGA, DVI-D, and HDMI ports. Note that DVI-D/HDMI dual output works in OS environment only and that during POST or BIOS setup, only DVI-D output is valid.

1) Does your system require a password to login? If so you should be able to tell without seeing it when the login screen is open. What happens if you type in the password (regardless of whether you can see the login screen or not)?

2) Are you using a DVI-D single-link or dual-link cable?

3) Is there any particular reason you need to use both digital interfaces? If your configuration works by using the VGA output, then (assuming all else fails), why not?

-Wolf sends

It doesn't get to the login screen. It will show the bios splash screen then the windows startup splash screen then just before the login screen comes on the monitor looses digital signal. The 22" monitor using the same dvi cable will continue to the login screen. Weird......

I'm using single-link DVI-D

I'm using the vga output now... I use one monitor for drawing and the other for reading or typing documentation and when in analog mode the lettering is not as sharp.

m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 29, 2012 11:34:43 PM

Quote:
It doesn't get to the login screen. It will show the bios splash screen then the windows startup splash screen then just before the login screen comes on the monitor looses digital signal. The 22" monitor using the same dvi cable will continue to the login screen. Weird......

That's what I meant by, "regardless of whether you can see the login screen or not". I suspect the 20" monitor is not recognizing the resolution being output from your PC's login screen. The screen is there, but not being displayed. If you type in your password at this time, you may actually log into the system and, perhaps, be able to view the screen.

-Wolf sends
m
l
November 30, 2012 12:22:48 AM

Wolfshadw said:
Quote:

That's what I meant by, "regardless of whether you can see the login screen or not". I suspect the 20" monitor is not recognizing the resolution being output from your PC's login screen. The screen is there, but not being displayed. If you type in your password at this time, you may actually log into the system and, perhaps, be able to view the screen.

-Wolf sends

never thought of that. I see what you mean. Let me try that and I'll let you know what happens.
m
l
November 30, 2012 12:56:47 AM

doesn't work........with just the dvi cable attached and without the vga cable i can get into the bios setting with its normal resolution.... i can get into windows safe mode with no problem the resolution is 800 x 600... but just when windows loads all the drivers then it cannot detect the monitor... when i plug the 22" monitor back in and go into the resolution property screen, windows only detects the 22" monitor.......

i first thought it was something with the display identification data that is loaded in the registry that might be corrupt but i don't know how to check that
m
l
!