Sign in with
Your question

Why won't my graphics card run games on Med/High settings?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 2:01:34 PM

First off, here is my PC specs:
Manufacturer: Advent
Model: Advent DT2111
CPU: Intel core i5-2320 3.0GHz CPU (Quad core)
GPU: AMD HD6670 2GB GDDR3 (Overclocked at 850MHz using MSI afterburner)
RAM: 8GB (Usable 6.11GB)
Harddrive: 2TB (Defragged)
Power supply: 405w
Motherboard: Foxconn (I'm not sure which model)
Sound device: AMD High Definition Audio device & Realtek High Definition Audio.
(On Driver Detective it says that these Audio drivers are out of date and I can't find an update for either of them so if you can please post some driver updates for these devices, please do so.)

Ok so you now know what my specs are, if you need any more information about my specs please ask.

So as the tittle suggest's, my PC / GPU isn't running my games very well. I'm lucky if I get about 55 FPS on "low" settings with most of my games including Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas which is a very old game.
The GPU that i'm running is an AMD HD6670 2GB GDDR3 which to me sounds like it should be capable of running these games on Med/High settings.
I currently have it overclocked to 850MHz which is the highest it can go without crashing my PC.
I also use Gamebooster, which doesn't make much of a difference.

Another game which I would really like to play on Med/High settings is Sniper Ghost Warrior.
I can play this game with minimum lag but as soon as I look at either Smoke, fog, water anything like that, my fps drops and I lag pretty bad.
I also have this game set to the bare minimum settings which really sucks because the scenery in this game is amazing.

So if you guys have any ideas or suggestions for me that can help me run my games a bit smoother, please post them below.
A new GPU isn't really an option for me right now but if I have to upgrade in order to run these games in the way I want to run them then I guess it's gonna be on my Christmas list :D 

thanks for any help in advance.
-J

a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 2:18:35 PM

Hiya,

I reckon your computer is running as it should, its just that your graphics card is relatively low end.
See benches here (keep in mind, although the GPUs are the same, the one in this benchmark has GDDR5 VRAM which is a whole lot faster then the GDDR3 VRAM on your graphics card): http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/613

As long as your drivers are up to date, there's nothing you'll be able to do apart from upgrading.
Related resources
November 28, 2012 2:26:44 PM

I assume you have the latest motherboard, CPU and GPU drivers installed? If you don't, even though your hardware specs should pretty well max out the setting of those two games, that could still cause your framerates to be low. Also, what make/model is your power supply. That also can cause major lag in games.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 2:32:47 PM

Th_Redman said:
I assume you have the latest motherboard, CPU and GPU drivers installed? If you don't, even though your hardware specs should pretty well max out the setting of those two games, that could still cause your framerates to be low. Also, what make/model is your power supply. That also can cause major lag in games.

I honestly do not know what model my motherboard is so i'm unsure how to update the drivers on it.
As far as I know I have the GPU and CPU drivers up to date.
I will find the make and model of my power supply and report back to you as soon as I can.
Thanks for your advice.
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 2:58:09 PM

First of all, the HD 6670 is one of the slowest cards released in the last few years. It's just not very good. That said, it should definitely be able to keep a steady 60 FPS in GTA:SA.

You mentioned that looking at smoke, fog, etc. kills your performance. These kinds of effects are much more demanding of the GPU than rendering basic scenery. You can sometimes turn off these effects in the game options, which could help as a temporary fix until a proper solution is found.
November 28, 2012 3:09:20 PM

I agree with willard, smoke, particles, and fog rank very high on the 'kill your gpu' performance scale. motion blur and depth of field are also up there. if you have an option to turn off the fog, sometimes under effects or environment effects, its should greatly help your experience

If I turn off motion blur on Crysis 2 I can gain as much as 10 fps with the various cards, I own, 2 of which are 6670's

Also, you didn't mention was resolution you are playing at? sometimes the different between 1080 and 900p can be 6 or 7 fps which can change how playable a game is.

Most older LCDs are either 1600x900 or 1680x1050, which should technically be playable for most older games with a 6670

Dry
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 3:10:21 PM

Since you have a 6670 2gb GDDR3 it will run slower than a 6670 1gb GDDR5. Secondly, you should unlock MSI Afterburner (follow the guide HERE). While OC'ing it more will give you more performance, it won't be more than 2-3 FPS.

The bad news is that the 6670 is a budget card. It's not going to scream in games.

For your motherboard, download CPU-Z and click on the mainboard tab. There's your motherboard model, download any new drivers they might have. Also download the newest Catalyst drivers.
!