Sign in with
Your question

Windows 2000 won't shut down or power off

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 30, 2002 3:44:55 PM

When shutting down windows 2000, my computer seems to be shutting down but then stops with a blank screen. The power will not shut off and I must hit the reset button then the power button (or hold the power button for 10sec) to shut the computer off.

Before this problem started my computer would power off automatically at shutdown. I can't figure out what happened.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting would be appreciated.

My system:
1.4 Athlon
ABIT KG-7Raid
2x256 MB Crucial registered ECC DDR
60GB IBM 60 GPX
Gainward GF3
SB Audigy
Antec 830sx Case
January 31, 2002 1:08:41 AM

I have this problem too. It's a software issue since I triple boot 98, 2K Pro, & 2K server. 2K Pro (SP2) is my main OS and it's the one hosing-up. Unfortunately I didn't catch exactly when it started happening so I don't know what driver/patch/service/app is causing it.

I've done a little troubleshooting but haven't pinned it down yet. I'd rather not rip out everything to find out what the deal is, so please post if you find a solution!

I'm also running an IBM 60 GXP (w/o RAID.) The only other close hardware match I have is an SB Live!

-hyp

"Let's take the warning labels off everything and let natural selection clean the gene pool!"
January 31, 2002 2:43:09 PM

I actually also had a sb live card before upgrading to audigy partly because I thought that may have been the problem.
Related resources
January 31, 2002 2:55:37 PM

Have you tried putting in a new NTLDR file?

<b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> for <b>THGC</b> Mascot!!!
February 1, 2002 12:59:43 AM

Quote:
Have you tried putting in a new NTLDR file?

...as in replacing it with an original using Recovery Console?

"Let's take the warning labels off everything and let natural selection clean the gene pool!"
February 1, 2002 3:04:56 AM

Yes.

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q229716" target="_new">Description of the Windows Recovery Console</A>

Or by repairing the installation with an Emergency Repair Disk. You can make one of those from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup. That will also replace the NTLDR file, but it will also force you to reinstall updated drivers, patches, and fixes for the OS. However, sometimes using the disk is the easiest route for a quick fix if several things are wrong.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>
February 1, 2002 5:24:59 PM

If you have the original Windows 2000 disk, just boot from the disk and run windows fast repair. It will detect and fix any problems in your NTLDR, registry and crucial windows components.
!