Sign in with
Your question

How to create startup disk for new laptop running windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
February 3, 2013 4:13:29 PM

How do I create a startup disk for my new laptop running windows 8. No start up disks were included and it was recommended that I create my own with the software provided on my system but I have no idea where to start. Thanks!
a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 5:05:47 PM

Hi. Do you mean recovery discs? These are created in case you need to reinstall your windows 8 if you have a major crash or virus and you cannot get it to work properly. Go to Start/programs and look for the icon with your computers name (example Acer). Click the icon and the option to create recovery discs will be there. Click it and follow the instructions which is usually something like put a DVD in and click here.If you use this to restore to factory settings all you files and programs will be lost You can also make a repair windows disc which will only try to fix windows itself and not delete your personal files. To do this To create a system repair disc
Open Backup and Restore by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore.
In the left pane, click Create a system repair disc, and then follow the steps.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 5:24:21 PM

Windows 7 came with an excellent Utility to create a system image of your boot drive. Windows 8 also has this utility, they just buried it - LOL.

SEE: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/12/u...

It works the same as win 7 Backup did. You select to create a system image. Unless you have two HDDs in your laptop, your best bet is to select a USB HDD. Can select to put on DVD disk, But I much prefer puting the image on either an external HDD, or even a thumbdrive. Once the image is written you will be prompted to make a reconvery (bootable) disk.

Need to recover, just pop in the recovery disk and boot to it, select repair then restore from image. Then walla 15 mins mlatter you can reboot into exacty the way it was when the image was created.

Edited
Added - forgot to mention, i9 checked it out. I used it to create an image of my "c" drive (128 gig SSD) and then restored it to a 128 gig Samsung 256 gig SSD - worked like a charm. Restore time about 15 min. Sure beats re-installing, waiting for windows updates (not many for win 8 YET), re-installing drivers and programs.
m
l
February 3, 2013 6:14:05 PM

RetiredChief said:
Windows 7 came with an excellent Utility to create a system image of your boot drive. Windows 8 also has this utility, they just buried it - LOL.

SEE: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/12/u...

It works the same as wind 7 Backup did. You select to create a system image. Unless you have two HDDs in your laptop, your best bet is to select a USB HDD. Can select to put on DVD disk, But I much prefer puting the image on either an external HDD, or even a thumbdrive. Once the image is written you will be prompted to make a reconvery (bootable) disk.

Need to recover, just pop in the recovery disk and boot to it, select repair then restore from image. Then walla 15 mins mlatter you can reboot into exacty the way it was when the image was created.

Good reply.

m
l
Related resources
!