Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No signal with new graphics card!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 28, 2012 5:44:31 PM

Hi i'm new around here and to PC building. I put together a basic system and it's been running fine for the last few weeks. i just recieved my graphics card, a EVGA Nvidia gtx 660 ti sc, and installed it into the computer. i can turn the computer on and the fans all light up but i get no signal from the graphics card hdmi port or the mother board hdmi port to my tv. i connected my laptop just to make sure the problem isn't with the tv and it works fine. i've tried installing the card in both pci-e 3.0 ports with the same result. i finally removed the graphics card and the computer runs fine now. no problem. i realize that the power supply isn't the best, i got it for free from my dads old computer. basically i want to know if the problem lies with the power supply and i need to get a better one or if its a problem with the motherboard pci-e slots or if its probably a defective card.

system specs
case: antec 300 illusion
mobo: asus p8z77-V LK
cpu: i7-3770K
psu: cooler master extreme power plus 500W
ram: 8 gb g skill ripjaws X 1866 mhz
sdd: intel 40 gb
hdd: western digital 320gb

Thanks!

More about : signal graphics card

November 28, 2012 6:02:42 PM

This card specifies a minimum of 500w to run. I currently run a 660w and its no problem.

The question would be how many hard drives and cd drives are you powering; additional fans and cooling systems?

If there’s nothing else then what you labeled then there should be no issue “running” over clocking though is not going to happen with 500w.

Also did you plug into both power supply plugs on the card? One is for fans the other for the card.
November 28, 2012 6:12:32 PM

i have a dvd drive and 4 case fans that weren't listed. i did plug in two power supply plugs one is a pcie 6 pin from the psu the other is a conversion of two 4 pin molex cables to 6 pin pcie using a cable that came with the gpu...
from what i understand though, the computer should still be able to boot up, but if i tried to put a load on the card thats when it would fail...
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 110 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 6:30:28 PM

I bet it's that crappy psu, it doesn't have a 2x6 pin pci-e and those molex conversions could be the cause...
Buy a corsair TX650w or a xfx 550w or seasonic 520w.
November 28, 2012 6:37:47 PM

Djan is probably right. Frys is selling a ATX RX630Z for $89 with $40 mail in rebate. It also comes with blue, red or green fans. Its also a hybrid and can crossfire/SLI.
November 28, 2012 6:41:27 PM

i had been looking at the TX650W, unfortunately i'm on a budget so i'm gonna have to save up till i can get a better psu, any other ideas? is there a way to test the gpu to see if it even works?
November 28, 2012 6:49:54 PM

1) Test it on someone elses pc
2) You could dry run it for just a second by connecting it to a PSU not intwined in the PC and power on just to see the fans spin.
3) Take it to a local store (like Frys) and have them test it for $10. (You can do it anytime, I always have them test stuff before i bring it home.)
November 28, 2012 6:53:04 PM

i will probably try those. thanks!

Best solution

November 30, 2012 5:21:15 PM

I remember this happened to me once when I switched to the Z77 chipset. Try these steps:
1)turn on the computer with integrated graphics only
2) Go to the UEFI menu
3)Press F7 to enter the advanced mode
4) Go to the Advanced tab
5)Enter the System Agent Configuration Menu
6)Enter the Graphics Configuration submenu
7)Set the Primary Display mode to PCIE
9)Save the settings and restart
10) Reinstall the Graphics card and see if you get a signal during POST

Also, make sure you have the latest Non-Beta BIOS release
December 1, 2012 2:50:48 PM

youssef 2010 said:
I remember this happened to me once when I switched to the Z77 chipset. Try these steps:
1)turn on the computer with integrated graphics only
2) Go to the UEFI menu
3)Press F7 to enter the advanced mode
4) Go to the Advanced tab
5)Enter the System Agent Configuration Menu
6)Enter the Graphics Configuration submenu
7)Set the Primary Display mode to PCIE
9)Save the settings and restart
10) Reinstall the Graphics card and see if you get a signal during POST

Also, make sure you have the latest Non-Beta BIOS release

it worked! Thanks so much!
December 1, 2012 2:51:06 PM