Cant boot from bootable wiin7 DVD

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Cant boot from my OEM Win7 DVD because it fails along the way with 0x80070017 error. Downloaded 4.36GB Win 7 ISO from Digital River and used ISOBuster and ISOBurner several times each to burn a bootable DVD. The computer boots straight into Windows, never giving the "press any key to boot from DVD" message.

They all have the same 3 files in the root as the bootable OEM DVD: autorun.inf, bootmgr and setup.exe.

With the exact same 3 files, why dont the ones I burned boot the machine?

Solution
Just a thought but verify the ISO image is bootable, not all Windows 7 downloads were meant for boot install, also if you haven't already try downloading it again, possible the download was corrupted.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Could simply be the burn speed and the media you used. Try slowing down your burn speeds, to the lowest speed, and see if that solves the problem.

Also, make sure your BIOS is configured to boot from the optical drive of choice.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

Seems Ive done this now so many times - ISOBurner, ISOBuster, Magic ISO, I dont remember which did what. Where I could control the speed, I set it to the slowest. The BIOS is set, thats why the OEM disk fails, because it boots to it then fails after the format stage.

I just tried IMGBurn, it needs to see an etfsboot.com file - WTF? This is not rocket science, why is it such a pain? These programs are made for this...

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Just a thought but verify the ISO image is bootable, not all Windows 7 downloads were meant for boot install, also if you haven't already try downloading it again, possible the download was corrupted.

Solution

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

When I run setup.exe on the disk I get "do you want to install windows now?" Got 5 coasters now, I d/l it again havent burned it yet.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I downloaded a different ISO. I used ImgBurn "write image file to disk". The disk is bootable, loading Windows now. The only noticeable difference between this one and the first 5 is the addition of a bootmgr.efi file. I have not tried burning another one with the newly downloaded first ISO. That would be the best test of was the problem with that ISO or some other factor. I would like to know but I have enough scrap plastic.