Sign in with
Your question

First time builder - would like comments on parts selection

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2013 10:35:32 PM

Generally, I want a build that will be very snappy for internet, email, etc., and allow for a decent (not high-end) gaming experience. Below is what I've come up with so far. A couple notes first:
- I already have the CPU, so no going back there.
- The PSU is relatively spendy, but I am deliberately choosing to pay for top efficiency.
- I am least confident about the choice of case. The 400R seems to have generally good press, but it seems like for cases in particular, you can always find at least one blistering negative opinion about each one.

Anyway, any feedback will be appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.26 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($101.68 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card ($137.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($137.36 @ TigerDirect)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $948.24
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-12 19:33 EST-0500)
January 12, 2013 10:50:34 PM

What kind of games and on what settings are you planning to play? Not trying to be a smarta$$, but I'm not sure what you mean by "decent" gaming experience, considering there are so many games with different graphical demands. If you are planning on a medium-high setting config on a game like BF3, then you should be OK. Some of these components seem a bit overkill, but I'm not too sure with what exactly you are doing. If you gave us a better description of what you are doing, we could probably help you out some more ;) 
January 12, 2013 10:53:41 PM

Newegg shows 81% of the reviews for the case are 5 stars, so I think you'll be okay there. You might think about adding a cpu cooler. Even if you don't plan to overclock, you could get one that has a more secure mounting mechanism and a quieter fan compared to the stock cooler.
Related resources
January 12, 2013 10:55:45 PM

djangoringo said:
That psu is terrible overpriced, and if you want a modular one just get this one : http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-hive...

And buy a better card, like the 660 gtx.

If you read the original post, you'd notice the OP is already aware that it's expensive, but wants the 80 Plus Platinum certification.
January 12, 2013 11:45:59 PM

MauveCloud said:
Newegg shows 81% of the reviews for the case are 5 stars, so I think you'll be okay there. You might think about adding a cpu cooler. Even if you don't plan to overclock, you could get one that has a more secure mounting mechanism and a quieter fan compared to the stock cooler.

Ugh. I know nothing about cpu coolers. I don't plan to overclock, so I was hoping the stock cooler would be ok. Do you have any particularly good references for research?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2013 11:52:03 PM

Get a cheaper cooler like the cooler master hyper 212 evo, for mild overclocking.
If you don't want to oc, the stock cooler is fine.
January 13, 2013 12:02:02 AM

Research reference is tricky, since I've mostly picked it up here and there from cpu cooler reviews, forum posts, etc. However, this page might be a good start for you:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CategoryIntelligence.aspx...

Stock coolers will usually provide sufficient cooling, but they're often a bit noisy, and push-pins can sometimes break or pop back out.

If you want some recommendations, I can help with that. The one I've been using with a Core i5-2500k is the Xigmatek Loki: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xigmatek-cpu-cooler-lokisd...
!