Sign in with
Your question

9800GT problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 28, 2012 7:32:28 PM

Hi guys. My brother has a 9800GT in his PC with windows XP. On almost every game he tries to play, the menu runs fine, but then once the game loads the pc locks up and he gets the nv4_disp blue screen of death. I thought this might be driver related since some games work (like minecraft and all the humblebundle games we have). So I tried driver cleaning and all that junk. Nothing worked. Then I put the card in my PC with windows 7 to make sure it wasn't a driver issue. Tried to play portal 2 and same thing: menu worked but at the end of the level loading it froze. I watched a GPU meter on my second screen while this happened. The card was running hot at 65C with no load. Infact, the GPU clock only went to like 1-4% load the whole time. As soon as the game started to load however the memory clock shot up to 100%. Is there anything I can try to fix the card? Maybe a way to clear the memory clock or something? Any ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance.

More about : 9800gt problems

a c 163 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 7:37:50 PM

UNfortunately this is an aging GPU, it sounds like its VRAM dying.
m
l
November 28, 2012 9:21:49 PM

Novuake said:
UNfortunately this is an aging GPU, it sounds like its VRAM dying.

Thx for the reply. So does this mean its just junk? I mean it works perfect for some games like minecraft. Anything I can try?
m
l
Related resources
a c 105 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 9:26:20 PM

go back and install the first set of drivers made for the card. they will put ( should put ) less of a strain on the card. you can try cleaning the dust out and replacing the old thermal paste.........

but, the card sounds like an old dinosaur politician. trying to hang on but has outlived his usefulness.
m
l
November 28, 2012 9:57:46 PM

swifty_morgan said:
go back and install the first set of drivers made for the card. they will put ( should put ) less of a strain on the card. you can try cleaning the dust out and replacing the old thermal paste.........

but, the card sounds like an old dinosaur politician. trying to hang on but has outlived his usefulness.

OK thx. But how do I get the first drivers? I got this from someone else so I dont have the original disk.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 10:08:13 PM

Wait now........

You take that card out
you take off the shroud
you clean every little spec of dust off of it.... No spray can compressed air won't do

I had the same issue and it was fixed easily with the steps above same card and everything
1 slot cards get hot and they fill up with dust so much so complressed air wont solve the problem
m
l
November 28, 2012 10:18:34 PM

spentshells said:
Wait now........

You take that card out
you take off the shroud
you clean every little spec of dust off of it.... No spray can compressed air won't do

I had the same issue and it was fixed easily with the steps above same card and everything
1 slot cards get hot and they fill up with dust so much so complressed air wont solve the problem

OK this is cool. You where getting the blue screen right after games load and everything?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 10:52:00 PM

Oh yeah even flash games.

bad memwill artifact not bsod
m
l
November 28, 2012 11:08:08 PM

if it idles that hot, the card is overheating.
uninstall(remove) the card
take it apart, clean it and reapply thermal paste
m
l
November 29, 2012 11:52:38 AM

OK i am going to clean the card and re-apply the thermal past today. ill let you guy no if anything changes.
m
l
!