Try again. Which wide angle for XT?

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 22, 2005 1:59:55 AM

Hi all,

I have a chance to get used wide angle zoom for my Canon 350/XT. I have a
choice of two. Both are used from a newspaper photographer. He just got a
Canon 1D and selling his EF-S lenses. The first one is a Sigma Zoom Super
Wide Angle 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Auto focus (NIB). The second is a
Tokina Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX Auto focus
(About 4 months old). He has offered them to me at the same price. Which is
the best lens? Is $425 a fair price for these?

I know that I originally asked about the Sigma 12-24mm but that was a
mistake. Sorry for that.

--

Master Chef Richard Campbell

100% Delightfully Evil for Your Protection

--
Master Chef Richard Campbell
100% Delightfully Evil for Your Protection

More about : wide angle

July 22, 2005 2:39:38 PM

Master Chef Richard Campbell <chefmagnus wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I have a chance to get used wide angle zoom for my Canon 350/XT. I have a
> choice of two. Both are used from a newspaper photographer. He just got a
> Canon 1D and selling his EF-S lenses. The first one is a Sigma Zoom Super
> Wide Angle 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Auto focus (NIB). The second is a
> Tokina Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX Auto focus
> (About 4 months old). He has offered them to me at the same price. Which is
> the best lens? Is $425 a fair price for these?
>

> I know that I originally asked about the Sigma 12-24mm but that was a
> mistake. Sorry for that.

Why don't you try them both, and report back?
I'd be interested in your opinion.
$425 doesn't sound like a bargain - IIRC the Tokina is $500 new.
I read reviews that say it is great - with almost no CA, and others that
say the CA is bad.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:39:39 PM

frederick wrote:
> Why don't you try them both, and report back?
> I'd be interested in your opinion.
> $425 doesn't sound like a bargain - IIRC the Tokina is $500 new.
> I read reviews that say it is great - with almost no CA, and others
> that say the CA is bad.

Fred,

I wish. The one that I don't buy goes to his 16 year old daughter. She is
working off getting my 300D by babysitting for us one night a week for the
next year. I asked him what she was doing to pay off the lens and he said
that she has to clean up after the dog in their backyard.

I tried them both out but wanted to double check my personal choice.

--
Master Chef Richard Campbell
100% Delightfully Evil for Your Protection
Related resources
July 22, 2005 6:18:47 PM

Master Chef Richard Campbell <chefmagnus wrote:
> frederick wrote:
>
>>Why don't you try them both, and report back?
>>I'd be interested in your opinion.
>>$425 doesn't sound like a bargain - IIRC the Tokina is $500 new.
>>I read reviews that say it is great - with almost no CA, and others
>>that say the CA is bad.
>

> Fred,
>
> I wish. The one that I don't buy goes to his 16 year old daughter. She is
> working off getting my 300D by babysitting for us one night a week for the
> next year. I asked him what she was doing to pay off the lens and he said
> that she has to clean up after the dog in their backyard.
>
> I tried them both out but wanted to double check my personal choice.

Which is?
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:18:48 PM

frederick wrote:
> Master Chef Richard Campbell <chefmagnus wrote:
>> I tried them both out but wanted to double check my personal choice.
>>
> Which is?

I have to say that I liked the little extra wideness that the Sigma 10-20mm
gave but the Tokina 12-24mm was faster to focus and slightly sharper. But I
didn't like how the manual to auto focus push pull on the Tokina. So, I am
going to go with the Sigma 10-20mm.

--
!