Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Where to start...?

Last response: in Systems
January 13, 2013 12:30:31 AM

I just signed up on this community recently, after poking around at reviews of certain pieces of hardware in the past couple of PCs that I've returned. I've come from years of using pre-built Best Buy machines and most of the time I manage, from tweaking the OS and adding some hardware to run things at medium settings at most. The last thing I tried was an HP quadcore which sounded promising but delivered little of what I wanted, that is, better than average framerates at high-ultra settings in WoW, Chivalry, and other games. After that plus a couple other disappointments, I've settled on doing a custom build for a change.

For the record, I'm coming from using a 4 year old Gateway 1.8ghz quadcore running Vista 64-bit with 8 gigs RAM and a cheap 2gb Nvidia card. The sad thing is that last HP wasn't much faster than this and was said to have been more of a hassle to upgrade. I'd like to build something that would run most things at around 40fps consistently on high graphic settings that would cost about 800 total.

Also would it make sense to piece it together over a couple months time? From what I see the most money goes into the CPU and the graphics..

Any suggestions would be grandly appreciated :) 

More about : start

Best solution

January 13, 2013 12:47:04 AM

Here is a build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xiSc
It is usually better to buy everything at once because if you buy the computer slowly over a couple of weeks or months will end up spending more then if they just bought it all when they had the money.
January 13, 2013 12:51:31 AM

Spartin503 said:
Here is a build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xiSc
It is usually better to buy everything at once because if you buy the computer slowly over a couple of weeks or months will end up spending more then if they just bought it all when they had the money.

Do not get 1x8gb RAM. Be sure to get 2x4gb.

Score
Related resources
January 13, 2013 1:17:10 AM

the issue right now is if you start buying parts one at a time over a few months the new video cards and cpu are going to drop.
there are parts like drives and power supply and cases that wont change when the new haswell or newer amd chips drop. the other issue is if one part is doe you wont know it till you build the pc in a few months. when that happens newegg or the other sellers 30 day return is over.
Score
January 13, 2013 1:17:13 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($225.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Raidmax ATX-321WB (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $797.46
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-12 22:17 EST-0500)

I am sure that you are going to need a retail copy of Windows. So I added that. Not sure what monitor you are using (DVI compatible). You will need a DVI compatible monitor for the GPU. Make sure you get a case that has USB 3.0 support for the front ports. You don't need a "k" version processor or Z77 motherboard if you don't plan to overclock. If you don't need the OS, you could get the 3570k and a Z77 motherboard and an EVO 212 cooler.
Score
January 22, 2013 9:30:46 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

For the most part I purchased the suggested items. i5 3570k, Win7, ASRock board, RAID case, Xion PSU and the ripjaw RAM.

I decided to recycle the DVDR and HD out of my old computer. (money got tight on me lol) I thnk it's either causing my current issue or I made the mistake of buying a cheaper ASRock board;

AS Rock LGA1155 Intel Z77 CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 PRO3

What's happening is this, the front LEDs save for the optical drive works. It powers up and takes me to the BIOS screen which tells me to strike some F keys to move onto setup right? It does this regardless of whether I put its driver disk in or not. The other issue is that it doesn't detect any keyboard. I've connected everything possible with the cables that came with it all, and made sure they were going to the right places (most are self-explanatory), unplugged everything and plugged back in. So far, still stuck at the BIOS screen, no detection from the keyboard, no front LED. USB ports seem to be working, the keyboard lights go on.

This might sound a bit hilarious to seasoned builders. What could be the issue here? Maybe just need a new HD? is the Motherboard junk?
Score
January 28, 2013 11:07:17 PM

Best answer selected by zerstrorer88.
Score
!