GTX660 Compatibility with I7-870/P7P55D LE moBo

acerbic

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Hello,

Although I have read that the new card is backwards compatible, I am really unsure if it would be wise to upgrade my dated rig with a brand-new GFX card. I would like some opinions on the matter.

(As a matter of fact, I am planning to overhaul my system with a SSD drive as well as new RAMs, but I consider the GFX card a priority).

Below you will find some system information. I am wondering if the system would be compatible with a modern upgrade.
------------------
System Information
------------------
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3070MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
Corsair 750 W Power Supply

acerbic

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Yes, I know that much. Would love to hear some more opinions. Should I install a new Power Supply?

By the way, I have chosen which parts I want to upgrade/install SSD Corsair Neutron along with new RAM and the new GFX card

popatim

Titan
Sounds good ! Keep your old HDD but have it disconnected during windows install onto the SSD then you can reconnect it and use it for..whatever you want. Its recommended to keep the less used stuff and things that speed isnt important on the HDD.

I wouldnt change the corsair PSU unless its like 5 yrs old, 750w is way more than enough to power and single card and most sli/crossfire setups.