GT 555m with External Monitor

Spamkey

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I have an Alienware M14x with:

Native Res: 1600x900
Nvidia GeForce GT 555m 3GB
6 GB DDR3
Intel i7 2630QM (Turbo Boost to 2.9GHz...roughly)

The issue I am having is using a different primary monitor. I recently acquired a BENQ GL2450 monitor (native res: 1920x1080). Setting the laptop to communicate with the monitor is no issue and the laptop runs fine with the monitor as the lone display. However, when I attempt to game (in this case, WoW: MoP), I get unbelievable FPS drops.

When playing on the laptop's monitor, I can play with "High" graphics settings flawlessly. However, as soon as I attempt to use the external display, I drop below 25 FPS permanently. Even if I turn the graphics settings down, I am still only in the 25 FPS range with the monitor.

I have read (in very vague forum explanations) that the 555m is not well suited to display 1920x1080 resolutions; but I am unsure if this is problem. Is there any validity to the inability of my graphics card to display the higher resolution?

To note: obviously Alienware laptops are notorious for their overheating but my PCU core temps and GPU temp under a high load are no different than those seen on www.notebookcheck.com's review of the same laptop with the same hardware.

If anyone on here has any expertise on this matter, please let me know what I could be doing wrong, or if my graphics card is even capable of such a feat.

EDIT: If need be I can append DxDiag files or images of my CPUID Hardware Monitor.

Spamkey

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
@popatim
no need for testing, the 555 cannot handle 1080 very well as you've more than doubled the amount of pixels its attempting to handle. You need to upgrade the GPU.

Glad to hear there's nothing I'm doing wrong, disappointing news regardless. Thanks for letting me know, now if only I could change the chip in my laptop....