Sign in with
Your question

Netgear powerline adapter not working with AMD Llano HTPC

Last response: in Networking
January 4, 2012 1:55:14 PM

Hi All,

I have a NETGEAR XAVB101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter and an AMD Llano build HTPC which refuses to work with each other.

The power plug works well with my Gateway NV79 laptop and even my Intel Core i5 -2500K desktop, without any problems! I have also used it to connect to my Roku, Yamaha Network Receiver and other networked stuff and all worked great, just the HTPC seems to have issues connecting to the network!

The HTPC is AMD A6-3650 on a ECS FM1 A75 Mobo with Integrated Realtek RTL8111E Gigabit Ethernet Controller, which is what I am connecting the power plug to! Only the connection over the power line adapter does not work, it works great with both a connection directly from the router and with wireless!

The adapter has a 128 bit encryption push button security feature which I'm NOT using. When I connect it the HTPC tries to connect and fails and shows the network as connected to an unidentified network. My LAN drivers on the computer is all up-to-date!

Any ideas why this is happening?

All help appreciated!

Thanks!
January 4, 2012 6:19:35 PM

have you tried to set the network card manually to 100Mb full-duplex?
m
l
January 4, 2012 7:54:31 PM

Emerald said:

No I haven't! How do i do that? Could you explain please!

You are talking about the Integrated Realtek RTL8111E Gigabit Ethernet Controller right?
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2012 3:45:42 AM

Emerald said:

I figured out how to do that and did change that, but that did not solve the issue, no connection still:

Here is some more information from my troubleshooting. I did double check to see if DHCP was enabled! Here is what I saw in the LAN Details section and the Enforcement client in Win 7:

This is weird to me, why is one saying enabled when the other is saying disabled?

I ran windows diagnostics and this is what it diagnosed:

I'm using the same adapter, cable and same wall outlet right now on my laptop to post this and as this post shows it is working fine!

This is the IP address on the laptop, it is in the same range as the other one:

Any idea what is going on here!
m
l
January 7, 2012 4:40:10 PM

Any networking experts here who can help with this please!
m
l
!