Gray screen on HD 7950

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 28, 2012 10:36:27 PM

Here are basic specs:

HD 7950 OC: 1.093V, Core 900Mhz, Mem 1250 MHz
i5 3570k @ 4.2 GHz
Windows 7 64 Bit
8 GB Ram

I'm not quite sure which component is causing the problem. I'm only guessing its the GPU b/c I read about similar problems on the HD 5XXX series. Anyways, occasionally when I Alt+Tab out of a game I get a grey screen and have to restart my computer. It's like gray and grayish-black thin vertical lines over the entire screen. It isn't a hard crash because I can still hear sounds and everything. I have only noticed it when Alt+tabbing out of Dota 2, but it has never happened when actually in game. Not sure about other games since I play Dota 2 the most.

I had the GPU OC'ed when all of this started, and decided to see if maybe that was the problem. I returned it to stock settings (shown above) and it seemed to help. The problem seems semi-random, but after setting to default clocks the gray screen didn't happen for a few days. After a few days of no problems I mildly overclocked the card again (w/o a voltage change) and the next day the problem happened again. For now I think I'm gonna return to default settings and see if it is stable for at least a week. Anyone know what could be causing this problem?

I know when the HD 5XXX series were having this problem it was because they were being undervolted, or something like that. Its hard to narrow down the problem. The other possibility is that its my monitor, which is one of those Korean 27 inch 1440p IPS displays, which I got recently. It seems to have started then, but that's also when I started overclocking to support the massive 1440p res. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks!

More about : gray screen 7950

November 28, 2012 11:39:20 PM

Well new drivers already installed ?

Try uninstall them and install again. Delete any file while uninstallling.

What is the specific card ?
m
l
November 28, 2012 11:56:23 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That is the specific card, gigabyte version. I will try doing a clean driver install but like I said it might be hard to report back with results since it occurs somewhat randomly. Whenever something like this happens I feel it is a hardware problem though. Temps are fine too btw, 55 C at full load with fans only at 40%.
m
l
November 29, 2012 12:05:48 AM

We can wait :)  If it happens again come tell us
m
l
!