Sign in with
Your question

Computer boots to BIOS, Not to OS

Last response: in Systems
January 13, 2013 4:32:08 AM

Hello all,

I just assembled a brand new computer. I can boot into the BIOS, all the parts are listed there and everything seems fine. However, when I try to boot to my HDD which has ubuntu 10.04 installed, the screen just has a blinking cursor in the top left. I tried to run a Memtest from an ubuntu USB drive, but it immediately reboots. I assume this is some RAM issue. I fiddled with the RAM settings in the BIOS, and tested each RAM module individually. Same result. Here are my parts:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/utoY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/utoY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Hitachi HTS545 (old macbook pro HDD)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Ubuntu is installed on the Hitachi drive. I can boot into linux using the try out ubuntu feature, and it seems to work fine. The MSI MPower debug code on the motherboard goes between 30 and 31. I don't know what to do, any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

More about : computer boots bios

January 13, 2013 6:29:52 AM

Did you install the OS on this system or was it installed on another machine and the hard drive transferred?
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
January 13, 2013 6:39:27 AM

My guess would be that the bootloader is not installed

what version of Ubuntu ?
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2013 2:06:41 PM

FALC0N said:
Did you install the OS on this system or was it installed on another machine and the hard drive transferred?

The harddive is from my macbook pro. It used to have backups and whatnot on it. I wiped that off and installed it in my new computer. I then created a bootable ubuntu image on a usb drive. I plugged in the usb drive, booted from it on the new computer, and installed ubuntu from there.
m
l
January 13, 2013 2:08:10 PM

Outlander_04 said:
My guess would be that the bootloader is not installed

what version of Ubuntu ?

If the bootloader wasn't installed, the BIOS would not pick up the HDD as a bootable drive and boot from it. I believe it would boot to the BIOS by default if no other bootable media were found. As stated above, it is Ubuntu 10.04.
m
l
!