Sign in with
Your question

Rate my build

Last response: in Systems
January 13, 2013 4:37:24 AM

Hello,
I'm building my first computer and I'd like feed back before I make any purchases.
It will be a gaming and entertainment rig.
Please note this will be a serious upgrade from my current computer (a 5 year old laptop with less than 1gb internal ram and intel celeron m)

The specs are:
Motherboard-z77x-up4 th
CPU-Intel Core i5 3570K
GPU-MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI
Sound card-Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
speakers-Creative Inspire T3130 2.1 Speakers
RAM-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Hard drive-3TB seagate
SSD-128 gb samsung 830 series
Optical-Samsung sh-224BB
Cooler- COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
PSU-CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 650W
Case-Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower
mouse-Logitech G9x Black Two modes scroll USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse
keyboard-Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

I'll be running windows 7 and I have 2 22 inch Samsung LED TVs with a 5ms rate.

As of right now this would all run 1529 on new egg before rebates or shipping a free copy of Assassins creed 3. I intend to buy most or all of the parts at microcenter however.

More about : rate build

January 13, 2013 4:43:38 AM

9/10 take out the 3tb hdd and put in a 1.5tb or 2tb,are you going to be doing video edithing because then you don't need the 16gb of ram,i would suggest a 7950 because after overclocking it surpasses the 660ti by quite a bit
m
l
January 13, 2013 4:48:04 AM

Why take out the 3TB drive? Has nothing to do with his RAM, chances are he will need a large amount of storage space and the large amounts of RAM for editing large videos.

Nvidia's GPU's are great for encoding videos if the program supports CUDA cores.

I think this system will work perfectly.

*edit* noticed you are using TV's as a monitor, I would recommend getting an actual monitor down the line as TV units tend to have poor pixel density.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 13, 2013 4:51:33 AM

I do agree with my friend Devilofdeaths . This HD 7950 does overtake 660ti after overclocking . its a overclocking beast and comes in handy price unlike 660ti
m
l
January 13, 2013 4:52:49 AM

warhead0 said:
Why take out the 3TB drive? Has nothing to do with his RAM, chances are he will need a large amount of storage space and the large amounts of RAM for editing large videos.

Nvidia's GPU's are great for encoding videos if the program supports CUDA cores.

I think this system will work perfectly.

*edit* noticed you are using TV's as a monitor, I would recommend getting an actual monitor down the line as TV units tend to have poor pixel density.

i'm just putting out suggestions usually a person doesn't need 3tb of space and he/she never told us that they would be doing video editing i do agree nvidia gpu's are amazing but if they save money on the ram/hdd then they can upgrade to the 670
m
l
January 13, 2013 5:14:35 AM

Be careful about high profile ram and coolers like the hyper evo 212.

Sorry, not sure if your ram is compatible or not with the evo if you ever filled all four slots.

Also define entertainment, because I believe most people might come to conclude that means video editing.
m
l
January 13, 2013 10:26:48 PM

Hey thanks for the responses guys and please keep it coming if you notice anything more.

I'll try to answer all questions in turn.

Quote:
take out the 3tb hdd

Actually I don't think 3TB will be enough. Over the next couple of years I'll be adding/converting all of my movies and books to digital copies. Some 700+ movies and well over 300 book titles/series plus music. I have another 2T external and a 250GB external as well. It's just a baseline and I'll expand as I need to. Also a bit of graphic design and I'll be looking more into steganography as well.

That's mostly what I mean by entertainment. Down the road, when tablets are better, I'd like to set the system up so I can access my library wirelessly.

Quote:
noticed you are using TV's as a monitor, I would recommend getting an actual monitor down the line as TV units tend to have poor pixel density.

I actually struggled with this decision and decided that since much of my computer use would be movies I'd use the TV monitors. If this isn't a good enough reason please elaborate the benefits.

Quote:
This HD 7950 does overtake 660ti after overclocking

I will not be overclocking or liquid cooling in the near future

Quote:
Be careful about high profile ram and coolers like the hyper evo 212.

Could you elaborate a bit more? Another option for ram would be Crucial Ballistix Sport low profile 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1600 DDR3 I don't anticipate I'll have to upgrade ram for awhile but down the road maybe.
m
l
!