cuopchri

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hello, I am having a bit of trouble with my desktop. It’s never really been completely stable since I built it two years ago, however, recently, it seems that I can’t go through a single day without it crashing to a black screen at least once, requiring a hard reset. This will occur at any time, there have been times where I will turn on the computer, walk off for five minutes, and come back to it sitting in the black screen. Other times, it will do this while browsing or playing games. However, there is no sure fire way to get it to do it; it just does it whenever it feels like it. Occasionally, it will also blue screen, but that hasn’t happened recently, so I have no minidump files to provide. The last time it blue screened, the error thrown up was page area in non page fault, or something like that. All of my drivers are up to date, following the guide up on the 500 series graphics cards forums (I’ve made sure that the HD audio stuff doesn’t install). I suspect that it’s my graphics card, so I posted to this forum.

Over the past few days, I’ve run memtest to completion twice, Furmark for an hour, prime95 for ten hours, IntelBurnTest, and SeaTools to check my hard drive. None of these tests have failed or thrown any errors. I tested the memory of the graphics card using VMT, but that came up with compatibility errors, so nothing to do there. I have also checked the PSU with a multimeter, but that was fine. I keep my case pretty dust free, and when I’m monitoring temps, the graphics card stays within acceptable temperatures, same with the CPU. I’ve also tried reseating everything to make sure the connections are fine, but that didn’t seem to help either.

Interesting note: I’ve tried to do a bit of CPU overclocking, however no matter how low I set the overclock, it never remains stable, requiring me to go back to stock. Whenever I’ve tried, I’ve tried using this guide: http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-lynnfield/

This is my desktop:
EVGA P55 Classified 200
EVGA 465 SC
Mushkin Silverline 4GB x2
Intel DWA 556
Intel Core i5 760
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
Ultra X3 1000W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB HDD

I’ve begun backing things up, in case I try reformatting my hard drive to see if it is a software issue, but I’m waiting to see what your recommendations are. Thanks for your help!

cuopchri

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hello all, sorry about the double post. I'm still having issues, but my computer finally blue screened again today. I was hoping if somebody could take a look at the minidump produced? I don' know how to read / interpret them, or upload them here either. Somewhat related, after crashing to the black screen today (this was after the blue screen), Windows started up Chkdsk, but didn't find any errors.

Thanks for the help!