Sign in with
Your question

New build problem

Last response: in Systems
January 13, 2013 5:32:18 AM

ok so I put this build together: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wS1X
and I put in the graphics card but it wont power on, everything else will, do I not have enough power from the PSU to support the graphics card?
because before this everyone told me it should be plenty and work without a problem.

More about : build problem

January 13, 2013 7:38:33 AM

If the GPU is not installed, you can boot fine into BIOS and OS using the integrated graphics?

Which PCI-e 3 slot are you installing into, the one just above the battery or the one between the PCI slots? When installed, the system won't power on at all? Are BOTH PCI-e power connectors secure?
m
l
January 13, 2013 7:41:36 AM

sharkbyte5150 said:
If the GPU is not installed, you can boot fine into BIOS and OS using the integrated graphics?

Which PCI-e 3 slot are you installing into, the one just above the battery or the one between the PCI slots? When installed, the system won't power on at all? Are BOTH PCI-e power connectors secure?

I can boot fine into everything without the graphics card, and I tried using the slot right above the battery and it didn't work so now it's in the one between the PCI slots, I have made sure the PCI-e Power connectors are secure, and when I put the graphics card in it will boot the computer fine but not detect the graphics card and the graphics card itself isn't even turning on what so ever..

Just to clarify, the computer will work with the integrated graphics regardless if the graphics card is in or not.
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2013 7:48:36 AM

With the graphics card removed, use integrated video to make sure current PCI-e drivers are loaded, and load the drivers for the graphics card. Then shutdown, install graphics card in slot above battery, and turn on.

Make sure have monitor connected to graphics card and proper input selected on monitor.
m
l
January 13, 2013 7:50:28 AM

sharkbyte5150 said:
With the graphics card removed, use integrated video to make sure current PCI-e drivers are loaded, and load the drivers for the graphics card. Then shutdown, install graphics card in slot above battery, and turn on.

Make sure have monitor connected to graphics card and proper input selected on monitor.

can I use an HDMI? because I currently don't have a DVI cable.
m
l
January 13, 2013 7:52:28 AM

sharkbyte5150 said:

also, how do I make sure the PCI-e drivers are loaded? I'm sure you already know but my slot is PCIe 3.0 x16 and the mobo is the asrock z77 extreme4
m
l
January 13, 2013 8:13:08 AM

Have you loaded the OS yet and loaded all of the motherboard drivers?
Have you installed the drivers for the graphics card?

m
l
January 13, 2013 8:14:43 AM

sharkbyte5150 said:
Have you loaded the OS yet and loaded all of the motherboard drivers?
Have you installed the drivers for the graphics card?

to answer the first question, yes.. I'm going to reinstall the mobo drivers though but it wont let me install the graphics card drivers without it being detected on the motherboard it said.
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:39:08 AM

if motherboard won't detect the card, possible bad PCI-e slot or card issue.
should be able to work using default drivers before you load specific ones for that card.
m
l
!