Is my computer build sufficient?

ThatGamerGuy

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hello peeps. I just wanted to ask a few questions. Im building a new pc here shortly and I wanted to get some more opinions on the rig that Im going to be putting together. I plan on doing some video editing and some heavy gaming (Skyrim, total war games, and some other programs (poser debut - a 3d modeling software)) on this rig. Do you guys think this will be sufficient enough for these things?

Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (size, asthetically pleasing, etc.) Im using all the fan mounts, regardless of noise.
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series 1200 watt Gold ax1200
MoBo: EVGA Z77 FTW LGA 1155
Processor: Intel core-i7 3770 sandy bridge 3.5 GHz
RAM: 16 Gb of (Mushkin Redline or Corsair Dominator or Vengance; Help me choose?)
GPU: EVGA GTX 680 4GB
HDD: 2 Western Digital Velociraptor 500GB with RAID 1
ODD: Blu-ray reader (not important but I felt like I should put it up)

g-unit1111

Titan
It's a decent start - EVGA motherboards simply aren't worth it - the BIOS on them hasn't changed in like 8 years where boards from Gigabyte and Asus have modern, visual BIOS and other nice features. Plus the software they include is way below sub par. For gaming you don't need the i7-3770. Go with the i5-3570K instead. And Velociraptor HDs simply aren't worth purchasing due to the ridiculously high cost per GB - let alone two of them in a RAID 0 setup.

BD-R drives are not important. Playing BD-R movies on PC is a gigantic pain in the ass, and everything now is moving toward online distribution like iTunes and Steam.

And before you go splurging hundreds on fans I'd recommend reading this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-heatsink,3053.html

What is your budget? I could suggest a better system if I knew that.

ThatGamerGuy

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
My budget is 2500
I'm also rather new to the whole tech game so, dumbing things down for me a bit would be greatly appreciated.
I am however set on the 3770. Futureproofing and whatnot. I want to keep this thing for quite a while.
also might point out that I'm 18 and will be going to college for computer science and engineering so, if you wanna teach me a bit, i wont complain! :lol:

g-unit1111

Titan

You have to be aware that - if you're spending $2500 - that there's no such thing as future proofing so that's why it's not really recommended to spend tons of money on a CPU when you'll most likely upgrade it two years down the road. Get an i5 and overclock it.

Also, does anyone know how well the Asus Fatality MoBo is for gaming?

Motherboard isn't really the place to spend tons of money on a build. If you want to get something I'd suggest this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($104.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1862.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-13 18:04 EST-0500)

Then use the difference for a nice monitor and whatever peripherals you want.

g-unit1111

Titan
Watercooling isn't really worth it in the long run. In the short run you can clock your CPU way beyond 5.2GHz but at the same time you have to change the voltage which will shorten the CPU's lifespan. So it's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. :lol: