Sign in with
Your question

A bit worried about heat and noise. (GTX 670 FTW)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2012 12:28:57 AM

Hello, I'm putting together my first pc and I'm torn between the EVGA GTX 670 ftw and the newer 670 ftw signature 2. I'm going with the ftw because I've been told that EVGA has by far the best customer support and reliability is a concern of mine.
Anyways, I'm asking to any who have the regular ftw, is it a very loud card when it's working under demanding games? I'm expecting some noise anyways, but would you all call it too noticeable? I have a Cooler Master HAF X case, if that makes any difference, and I do plan to try and overclock it after learning how.
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 12:32:22 AM

What are your temps ? Anyways yes it's loud that's why i did not buy it lol.
m
l
November 29, 2012 12:45:40 AM

bigcyco1 said:
What are your temps ? Anyways yes it's loud that's why i did not buy it lol.

I'm sorry, let me clarify. I haven't gotten the cards yet, though I've heard that the FTW can run 78c out of the box and requires tweaking the fan profile to get it under 60c which is what I'm told is the temperature you don't want to pass. A lot of the reviewers on Newegg point this out. I'm assuming my cooler master HAF X would make any possible noise barely noticeable, but if in your opinion a card that runs even a little over 60c on load isn't acceptable I'll opt for the signature 2 since it has a twin fan cooler design.
m
l
Related resources
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 12:48:44 AM

I think your case would keep temps under control but that's me guessing i don't want you to spend that kind of money on my guessing so wait for more replies please.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 12:55:15 AM

I would not believe newegg reviews as they show no proof.I mean sure it's possible what they write is true but without proof how can you trust it.I read this professional review it doesn't sound like you'll have any issues. http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/27432-evga-gtx-670-ft...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 1:24:06 AM

The GTX 670 FTW DOES run hot if you HEAVILY overclock it without adjusting the fan settings. The fans themselves max out at around 60-70% if i remember right to keep the noise down.

The GTX 670 is actually one of the quieter/cooler GTX 670s (quietest is the Asus DC2 TOP GTX 670) on the market because it uses the GTX 680 PCB and cooler.

I've never had any problems with my GTX 670 FTW (runs at around 69C under load boosted to 1168 mhz core @ 1.175v and fans at 56%) I can tweek it up to around 70% fanspeed and it'll get a good bit quieter and still be barely audible. And I got a open case haf 922 case too...

Ok, did some more adjusting of fan speeds. My head is about 3 feet away from my case and anything under 60% fanspeed i can't hear. And after adjusting some fan settings, when it's in boosted to 1162 mhz core, it sits flat at 65C and 57% fan speed.
m
l
November 29, 2012 1:43:24 AM

Oh okay, thank you both. I feel better about the ftw now. Oddly enough, I can't find a whole lot of into on the ftw signature 2. That fudzilla review says the ftw's pcb allows it to match the gtx 680, but I can't find anything to indicate if the signature 2 uses the same pcb as the regular ftw. I'm wondering cause it seems to say the dimensions of the signature 2 are actually smaller??

The signature 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The regular ftw: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-130-...

Either way, you two have been a big help :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 1:52:41 AM

Edit: Ok. I was wrong on both accounts lol.

The GTX 670 FTW is on the 680 PCB w/ 680 cooler.

The GTX 670 FTW signature 2 is on a 670 reference PCB w/ a custom 2 fan cooler on it.
m
l
November 29, 2012 1:58:53 AM

killerhurtalot said:
Edit: Ok. I was wrong on both accounts lol.

The GTX 670 FTW is on the 680 PCB w/ 680 cooler.

The GTX 670 FTW signature 2 is on a 670 reference PCB w/ a custom 2 fan cooler on it.

Ah, I see. In that case I'll just stick to the GTX 670 FTW then, cause it's the 680 pcb that gives the card it's great performance, right? And since you said the FTW runs at reasonable temperatures while is barely heard in your HAF 922, my HAF X should be more than enough.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 2:06:21 AM

Solo Wing Pixy said:
Ah, I see. In that case I'll just stick to the GTX 670 FTW then, cause it's the 680 pcb that gives the card it's great performance, right? And since you said the FTW is barely heard in your HAF 922, my HAF X should be more than enough.

Well, both cards are factory overclocked the same. But the GTX 680 PCB has better power stability (which might make it a better overclocker) but it seems the signature 2 having fans might give it better cooling (which also might make it the the better overclocker)

I'd just go for the cheaper one (original GTX 670 FTW on 680 PCB) since they'll pretty much perform the same.

I also live in seattle where the temperature inside the house normally doesn't go over 60F lol.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 2:06:36 AM

Solo Wing Pixy said:
Ah, I see. In that case I'll just stick to the GTX 670 FTW then, cause it's the 680 pcb that gives the card it's great performance, right? And since you said the FTW is barely heard in your HAF 922, my HAF X should be more than enough.

"FTW" is the acronym that stands for "For The Win". FTW model graphics cards are the highest overclocked card available. Each card is hand tested and gauranteed stable at the advertised clock speeds and tends to be OCed more. They are also the highest grade PCBs made for that particular model (Higher Pinned Products).

Both cards use the same circuit, the standard circuit is the smaller one seen on the reference GTX 680 and GTX 670 on launches, so the only major difference is that the Signature 2 has the dual fan for those who are concerned about heat along with OCing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 2:11:07 AM

ilysaml said:
"FTW" is the acronym that stands for "For The Win". FTW model graphics cards are the highest overclocked card available. Each card is hand tested and gauranteed stable at the advertised clock speeds and tends to be OCed more. They are also the highest grade PCBs made for that particular model (Higher Pinned Products).

Both cards use the same circuit, the standard circuit is the smaller one seen on the reference GTX 680 and GTX 670 on launches, so the only major difference is that the Signature 2 has the dual fan for those who are concerned about heat along with OCing.

Look at all the dimensions of retailers and resellers and databases.... they all list FTW signature 2 as having 9.5" long PCB... which is a GTX 670 reference PCB and not a GTX 680 PCB... Even with the same circuit, the voltage regulator placement and numbers are different on the two boards...

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/5/4/nvidia-ra...
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 2:18:25 AM

killerhurtalot said:
Look at all the dimensions of retailers and resellers and databases.... they all list FTW signature 2 as having 9.5" long PCB... which is a GTX 670 reference PCB and not a GTX 680 PCB... Even with the same circuit, the voltage regulator placement and numbers are different on the two boards...

There's no need to troll! but you're a bit funny. They list FTW as a 10" x 4.38" and the Sig as a 9.5" x 4.38" and you say that these 0.5 difference belongs to the PCB?

Let me show you how the reference PCB look

m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 2:30:38 AM

ilysaml said:
There's no need to troll! but you're a bit funny. They list FTW as a 10" x 4.38" and the Sig as a 9.5" x 4.38" and you say that these 0.5 difference belongs to the PCB?

Let me show you how the reference PCB look
http://cdn.overclock.net/5/5e/5e28577f_msi670.jpeg

Have you even seen the Nvidia reference GTX 670 boards??? most of the companies ditched the small board and put their own pcb boards in... That pcb board in the pic you posted isn't a reference gtx 670 board. look at the link i posted.

and apparently we're both still wrong lol.

GTX 670 FTW signature 2 got a 680 board like the original FTW. just a different heatsink and cooler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5YVvcxMhQI
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 2:40:17 AM

killerhurtalot said:
Have you even seen the Nvidia reference GTX 670 boards??? most of the companies ditched the small board and put their own pcb boards in... That pcb board in the pic you posted isn't a reference gtx 670 board. look at the link i posted.

Yes I have seen the ref board, they put their own PCBs to allow custom power phases and ICs to support for more OCing.
And yes the pic I posted is the ref board, the one below the blue board, and one more time for the slow here's how it looks

killerhurtalot said:
and apparently we're both still wrong lol.

GTX 670 FTW signature 2 got a 680 board like the original FTW. just a different heatsink and cooler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5YVvcxMhQI.

No I wasn't wrong, that's what I exactly said, do I have to quote my post?

m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 2:42:14 AM

Solo Wing Pixy said:
Oh okay, thank you both. I feel better about the ftw now. Oddly enough, I can't find a whole lot of into on the ftw signature 2. That fudzilla review says the ftw's pcb allows it to match the gtx 680, but I can't find anything to indicate if the signature 2 uses the same pcb as the regular ftw. I'm wondering cause it seems to say the dimensions of the signature 2 are actually smaller??

The signature 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The regular ftw: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-130-...

Either way, you two have been a big help :) 

Go for whatever, if you're concerned about heat grab the dual fan, if not just go with the standard one but I recommend the signature.
In which case, they perform identically.
m
l
November 29, 2012 8:10:03 PM

ilysaml said:
Go for whatever, if you're concerned about heat grab the dual fan, if not just go with the standard one but I recommend the signature.
In which case, they perform identically.

Now I'm hearing that Nvidia is going to release their new 700 series in a few months?...oh well, if worse comes to worse I can always sell the card.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 11:50:50 PM

We'll hear speculations on both HD 8K and GTX 7K series in Xmas, they won't be here till February.
m
l
!