Opinions on build

niveonix

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hey guys, new to the forums, and semi new to computers and assembling them, so here is my question,

I am planning on building myself a gaming rig. After having played both xbox and ps3 for quite awhile, I have become fed up and disappointed in m consoles and plan on switching directly to pc gaming permanently, as the only thing keeping me with my xbox was the community and friends, but nonetheless, I'd love your guys' opinions on my proposed build I put together and thoughts or critiques on it:

Intel i7 3770K CPU
Recommendations for motherboard?
Kingston hyperX RAM-16gb
EVGA Geforce GTX 680 (Maybe planning on SLI on the future)
Corsair H80i CPU Cooler
Corsair HX1050 PSU
Western Digital Black 1TB HDD
Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD

I also need to know if it is a good idea to place the OS on the SSD for fast boot ups, and storing games on the HDD as im not too sure how people do it today. I'm looking for thoughts on a motherboard and case as well, preferably one that allows for expansion in the future. I'm planning this pc to be for high end, maxed out gaming, as well as a small amount of video editing, as I may end up taking some video oriented classes in college. My budget is anywhere from $1500 to $2000.

Thank you in advance!

well what i recommend on the point right now is to drop the i7 down to an i5 unless you are planning to record while gaming(the extra 100$ spent on the cpu will give you no more than a few fps max when that 100$ can be spent on another part of the computer for more realistic gain). then again you may be video editing so that option is to you.

as for MOBO, it really depends on what features are you looking for and how many of what you may or may not have in the future on the board(the more you pay, better overclocking features, better parts, wifi, integrated sound and stuff will be more of access)

the psu may be a tad bit excessive as well. you will only need 800w for a sli/xfire based build WITH heavy overclocking(dare i say you still have room to add a bunch of other stuff besides another gpu at that rate as well.)

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
SSD's are great for fast booting and read/write so definitely load OS on it and you won't benefit from any performance boost for gaming so yes just keep those on HDD to keep the SSD uncluttered.

The 3770K is going to give you no real benefit over the 3570K for gaming so take the money and put it towards graphics card.

If you're going to overclock, go for Z77 board.
The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is popular or the ASUS P8Z77-V, both good choices.
Really depends on what features you want, both of those support Crossfire/SLI

I'm not a fan of Kingston, I like GSkill Ripjaws for RAM, but that's just personal preference.