Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can a laptop have two graphics cards, one integrated and one dedicated?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2012 1:40:59 AM

Hello and thanks for taking a look at my post.
I'm having a little thought in my head about my laptop, HP Pavilion dv6, and it's two Graphics cards (Mobile Intel HD Graphics and Radeon 6770m).
Is it possible that my HD Graphics card is integrated but my 6770m is dedicated? Is it also possible they can both be integrated?

I'd like to know if there is a way to find out other then opening up the computer. Thanks for your time.
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 1:50:24 AM

The intel HD graphics is an igp(integrated graphics processor). The radeon hd6770m is a discrete mobile graphics card. Hope this helps.
Score
November 29, 2012 1:56:37 AM

+1^^^ we need to get a rep button on the forum...
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 1:58:57 AM

When a laptop has more than one graphics card it usually means that one of them is actually integrated into the design of the CPU itself. It's there whether you want it or not because the CPU manufacturer has designed the CPU (Intel in this case) with a graphics subsystem (AKA Mobile Intel HD Graphics). The Radeon HD 6770m graphics is a discrete graphics card that has been added onto the motherboard in addition to the CPU's integrated graphics, however, many computer manufacturers do not provide for the possibility of replacing or upgrading the discrete graphics card. Radeon HD 6770m graphics is substantially more powerful than the Mobile Intel HD Graphics.
Score

Best solution

a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 433 D Laptop
November 29, 2012 2:32:17 AM

Yes. It is possible and they have been in the market for over 2 years.

Basically all Intel Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs have an integrated graphic core within the CPU itself. AMD has the same thing with Llano and Trinity, however, they call it an "APU".

Laptops sold with the above mention CPU/APU and a graphic card / chip are said to have "switchable graphics". That means you can use either the integrated graphic core, or the dedicated (discrete) graphic card / chip. Most laptops have a graphic chip soldered into the motherboard, while specific models of expensive gaming laptops will have a graphic card slot for the graphic card. It's called a MXM format.

AMD APUs are unique in the if the laptop has a Radeon HD graphic card / chip in the laptop it works together with the graphic core inside the APU to provide better performance. It is called Hybrid Crossfire (unless AMD changed it) and is unique only to AMD.
November 29, 2012 5:14:46 AM

Thanks for all the great replies (And I agree, a rep or +1 button would be quite a nice addition so multiple users can select the best answer too)
JtenorJ: Thank you very much for the answer. It does help a lot and lets me think about somehow switching it with a more upgraded version.

Jkatwyopc: Do you mean they don't provide the ability for a user to open up the laptop and replace the card by themselves, or asking them to switch it for something else? Thank you for the detailed explanation on integrated graphics.

Jaguarskx: Since you've answered and went into a full fledged explanation on switchable graphics and explained integrated and dedicated graphics card I consider you to have the best answer. Thanks to the MxM explanation I've searched up some different forums, and found that while my DV6tqe does have two graphics cards it seems that even though my computer has two graphics cards neither can be taken out sadly. Thank you for the answer though, and have a nice night.
Score
November 29, 2012 5:14:59 AM

Best answer selected by Oracle Fefe.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 2:38:35 PM

Oracle Fefe said:

Jkatwyopc: Do you mean they don't provide the ability for a user to open up the laptop and replace the card by themselves, or asking them to switch it for something else? Thank you for the detailed explanation on integrated graphics.

Some do but often the discrete graphics is soldered into the board or it's just put inside where it's very difficult to get to. Even if it's upgradable, they may not make upgrade parts readily available. Comparing the cost and effort required to upgrade the graphics, it's just better to upgrade the whole laptop when it becomes obsolete.
Score
!