New rig, GPU not working?

newcster2

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Heya, I previously had a Gigabyte 7870 2GB and I was loving it, however it was slightly bottlenecked by my mobo and I wanted a new CPU and some new RAM. So, I got a new mobo, cpu, and ram, my current rig:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-8150 @3.6Ghz
GPU: Gigabyte RadeonHD 7870 2GB DDR5 OC DirectCUII GHz Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 1600Mhz CML16GX3M2A1600C10

I was almost certain this was all supposed to work together, but for some reason, when I turn it on the fans on the GPU spin up for about a second and then power down and I get a blank screen. Also I can't turn the PC off with the power button on the front of the case, I have to cut off power with the switch on the back. I'm almost 100% sure I have plugged everything back in, including the GPU, I even plugged in other things I forgot to the first time but the GPU still isn't working right.

Does anybody have any ideas? Is this a driver issue? I have some cables that might be pushing the GPU, is that the problem? I'm also pretty sure I have it plugged into the PCi slot just right as well.

I'm really upset because it took me all day (all though it was fun) to put everything together and it was my first time making a big upgrade on my PC other than installing small things. I don't want to have to spend all day tomorrow fixing it and possibly having to replace my GPU because I may have broken it. :(

newcster2

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

Don't know what you mean by "past POST" I can't really see anything at all, because the GPU isn't turning on and there's no onboard video chipset so basically I'm running without any video AT ALL.

I do still have my old 6670, so I could try that out so I know if it's a problem with the GPU itself.

The case as a whole doesn't seem to have any damage whatsoever, the power button turns it on, it just won't turn it off. Pretty sure I have all the headers plugged in properly as well. I'd imagine the BIOS isn't letting the computer turn off for some reason, maybe trying to set up the BIOS for the first time?

So I guess I'll wait just a little to see if anyone else has any ideas, if not I'll try putting in the old GPU, I have to find it first. haha

newcster2

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

Oops, I know what that is, sorry about that, but I still don't know if it is getting there, past POST, or anything because GPU is not functioning. ;~;

newcster2

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Tried putting in my old 6670, still the same problem except it seems the 6670 stays on while the 7870 turns off after 1 second. With both cards however, the monitor recognizes that something gets unplugged when I take out the cord to the GPU, does that mean that the GPU's are working and something else isn't?

Simu

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
bro take mobo and psu out of the cabinet, now put your gfx card in and also check your memory sticks, take them out and put back in. now switch on your sys. hope this will boot up your sys. and still a prob. take out mobo batt. for atleast 10 min. or just shot the clr_cmos jumper for 10 secs.