60-year-old grandma needs help with wireless adapter please

teresamoran51

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hello, I am using a Realtek mini wireless adapter in my bedroom that is about 30' and 2 walls away from the hardwired router in the living room. The signal varies from 18-24 to 36 max. What is the best kind of adapter for me to buy that will pick up at least 54+ and is easy for a non-technical ol' lady to install. Many thanks. Teresamoran51

skaz

Distinguished
Hi,

Most wireless adapters are pretty easy to use. Lets start with the kind of router you have. Do you know the make and model of the Router? It should be printed somewhere on the box, or the actual unit itself. From that I should be able to tell if its a wireless G or N router.

For the wireless adapter, go into your device manager and under network adapters it should list the type of realtek adapter. Please state that as well.

Also, where is the router located? Is it down low hidden in a shelf or up high on top of a desk? We might be able to reposition the router to give you a better signal.

teresamoran51

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Thanks for all replies. I am using a ZyXel P-600 series router furnished by the telephone company I get my wireless service. I am using Realtek RTL 8188ca wireless LAN 802.11 USB 2.0 network adapter. The router is located inside my husband's rolltop desk in the living room. I am in my office 2 walls away and about 25'. What is the difference between wireless G and wireless N? Thanks so much to both of you. Teresa

One thing comes to mind. Relocate the wireless router. The ideal location for the wireless router would be on top of the desk, at the highest point possible. Definitely not "... inside my husband's rolltop desk... " as you state.

Wireless 'N' is the newer and faster standard compared to the wireless 'G' (even older standards are 'A' and 'B', now practically obsolete).

At the end of this year the latest Gigabit standard (faster) will be released.

In your case, relocating the wireless router will solve the signal strength issues. The manual explains ideal locations, usually at the highest point possible.