Solved

Power supply too powerfull for my build ?

Hi guys,
I just received everything for building my new rig except for the powersupply that was back order ...

I can have a pretty good deal for XFX Pro 850W Black Edition Single Rail Full Modular 12V 70A 24PIN ATX PSU 80+ Gold Cert

but i've done my little research and some people said that 850w will be too powerfull for a setup like mine...

CPU i5 3570k
MOTHERBOARD p8z77-v lk
CASE zalman z11
MEMORY 2x 4gb g skill 1600 mhz
STORAGE samsung 830 256 gb
STORAGE caviar 1 tb 7200
GRAPHIC gigabyte gtx 670 oc 2 gb
POWERSUPPLY ?

I will maybe put another gtx 670 later..not for now !

What do you guys thinks ???
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power supply powerfull build
  1. if you put second gpu in later then 750w is enough
    if you don't plan to add second gpu, then 550w
  2. 850 Watts seems appropriate for gtx 670 SLI.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_670_2_and_3way_sli_review,4.html

They are seeing 433 Watts of system power consumption with 2 cards in SLI running at max load.

You could have gotten away with a 750 Watt, but 850 isn't outrageous. I would keep the power supply that you've already got being shipped to you. You want to keep it at around half load for maximum efficiency.
  3. A psu will only draw the wattage that is demanded of it, regardless of it's maximum rating.
    You are good there.

XFX is a good brand, and if you are planning on sli in the future, you are looking at 750W anyway.

Keep the 850.
  4. so i should buy a 750w like I had bought instead of a 850w ?

what can happen if i run my pc with one single gtx 670 and 850w psu for long time ?
    im a little bit confused
  5. Nothing will happen. You will just have a low load on your PSU. Like geofelt said, it will only deliver the power that your system requires. The benefit to getting a 750 Watt PSU is that you'll probably be putting around a 50 or 60% load on it, and that's usually the range where your PSU is most efficient.

But yeah, nothing bad will happen if you use an 850 Watt.
  6. jay337 said:
    so i should buy a 750w like I had bought instead of a 850w ?

what can happen if i run my pc with one single gtx 670 and 850w psu for long time ?
    im a little bit confused

A psu will operate most efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
    It will also run quieter if it does not need to run at max.
    Overprovisioning a bit is a good thing.
    If anything, it will prolong the life of your psu.
  7. Best answer
    that powersupply isnt overkill, and is of quite good quality :)
  8. So im ordering the 850 w !!! Thank you guys for your fast answer you all rocks !
  9. Best answer selected by Jay337.
  10. excellent enjoy ur new powersupply its very good :)

ive owned a 2 xfx powersupply and havent failed yet :)
  11. perfect thanks alot !!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Power Supplies Powersupply Systems