MSI Motherboards/Support (Don't buy!)

nickursis

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2002
MSI (Microstar International) is a motherboard maker that should be avoided! They produced the 645 Ultra (an SiS 645 chipset based DDR 333 capable socket 478 board), that has a bad flaw: It cannot report the CPU temperature accurately. While that in and of itself may not make the board unusable, the fact that despite many posts on their own forums, they continue to ignore and sell, a faulty motherboard. On top of that, they kick anyone off their forum who has the temerity to voice disatisfaction with the idea of their selling a faulty motherboard and provide no feedback even to courteously explain why they have done so. If you email their tech support, it gets returned byu the MSI mailserver saying: :unable to deliver, support@MSI.com.tw does not exist"!! While the board itself functions well, it has some problems with the setup of bios functions and certain brands of DDR333. None of these issues are ever addressed by the company. Despite many complaints about this issue, they continue to ignore it and people keep falling into the trap! Motherboard makers obviously need to go back to the Demming school of quality control, and also do some basic research into customer care and support. I don't pay good money for a product only to find out it does not function and then be ignored by the manufacturer as if to say "you paid us, we gave you a board, now what else do you expect?"- Disgusted!

Backup my harddrive? How the hell do I get it in reverse?

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
Guess you got a bad board buddy...
MSI have been recognized to make some pretty decent boards over the years...I own an MSI motherboard (MSI KT7 Pro2-A)
and I have never had any trouble with it so far...
However, I wouldn't know about their customer support, since I never had to contact them...
Sorry you got a crappy board...but don't put them all in the same class...

"Being Canadian, I can only stay online as long as my igloo generator is running..."

PostalBoo

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2002
Exactly. I have a MSI 845 UltraARU and it runs fine. There was a flaw in CPU temperature, but MSI has the Live Update software and there was a BIOS fix for that issue. Also, my friend had the Kt7 Pro2-A as well. He told me when he called the tech support he got through in less than 5 minutes and they were able to address his issue immediately. So, like the guy above me said, sucks that you're having problems, but I don't think MSI deserves any badmouthing over it.

jeremyu73

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
I have another reason to avoid MSI. I began integrating them into systems about a year ago. They began failing at a ridiculous rate. Of 10 or so sold, 4 or 5 died. That was enough for me to ditch them. As a small consulting firm I dont sell much hardware, but each time my call display picks up a call from a client that i've sold an msi board to, I worry that i've got to deal with another warranty issue. The culprit, MSI K7T Pro2-A. I was very happy with the functionality of these boards untill they started dropping like flies. I'm not the only one, a friend of mine in the same business experienced a similar failure rate. Its too bad. I used to put that "Geared by MSI" sticker on PC's feeling confident that I'd sold a high quality reliable PC. Never again.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I have a MSI K7T-Turbo and a MSI 850Pro and think they are sweet! Never had a problem **knock on wood :wink:

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So, YOU'RE the one person that hasn't had trouble with the KT7-Pro2A. :tongue:

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=87962" target="_new">My Rigs </A>

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
So, YOU'RE the one person that hasn't had trouble with the KT7-Pro2A
That is all my store used for systems a couple of years back and rarely had RMA and only 2 or 3 DOA out of 60 or so systems. I really liked that board, and owning 2 (1 for each system on lan) they never went tits up on me.

Blame the newbies not the technology