Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Hello,

I have an application that needs to install a device driver in the
target computer among installing other files. I am using InstallShield for
installation and I have InstallShield professional. It seems that there is
no utility in this version of InstallShield for installing device driver. Is
there?

What is the simplest way to install a driver when you have the inf file for
the device?

Is there any tutorial about this?

Any help appreciated.

Best regards

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Look at the DevCon sample in the DDK. In general you need to copy your
files to a directory and use SetupCopyOEMInf to copy the INF file to the
windows directory.

--
Don Burn (MVP, Windows DDK)
Windows 2k/XP/2k3 Filesystem and Driver Consulting

"ma" <ma@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have an application that needs to install a device driver in the
> target computer among installing other files. I am using InstallShield for
> installation and I have InstallShield professional. It seems that there is
> no utility in this version of InstallShield for installing device driver.
> Is there?
>

> What is the simplest way to install a driver when you have the inf file
> for the device?
>
> Is there any tutorial about this?
>

> Any help appreciated.
>

> Best regards

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

And that ( SetupCopyOEMInf and maybe other if you need ) you can call
from InstallShield too , but you need in wrap into function which will sit
in
external dll. IS allow you to call functions from custom dlls
Arkady

"Don Burn" <burn@stopspam.acm.org> wrote in message
> Look at the DevCon sample in the DDK. In general you need to copy your
> files to a directory and use SetupCopyOEMInf to copy the INF file to the
> windows directory.
>

> --
> Don Burn (MVP, Windows DDK)
> Windows 2k/XP/2k3 Filesystem and Driver Consulting
> Remove StopSpam from the email to reply
>

> "ma" <ma@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an application that needs to install a device driver in the
>> target computer among installing other files. I am using InstallShield
>> for installation and I have InstallShield professional. It seems that
>> there is no utility in this version of InstallShield for installing
>> device driver. Is there?
>>

>> What is the simplest way to install a driver when you have the inf file
>> for the device?
>>
>> Is there any tutorial about this?
>>

>> Any help appreciated.
>>

>> Best regards

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Also you can try DifX v 2 -
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/install/DIFxtls.mspx
Sometimes it works well, though your mileage can vary.

--PA

"Arkady Frenkel" wrote:
> And that ( SetupCopyOEMInf and maybe other if you need ) you can call
> from InstallShield too , but you need in wrap into function which will sit
> in
> external dll. IS allow you to call functions from custom dlls
> Arkady
>
> "Don Burn" <burn@stopspam.acm.org> wrote in message
> > Look at the DevCon sample in the DDK. In general you need to copy your
> > files to a directory and use SetupCopyOEMInf to copy the INF file to the
> > windows directory.
> >

> > --
> > Don Burn (MVP, Windows DDK)
> > Windows 2k/XP/2k3 Filesystem and Driver Consulting
> > Remove StopSpam from the email to reply
> >

> > "ma" <ma@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have an application that needs to install a device driver in the
> >> target computer among installing other files. I am using InstallShield
> >> for installation and I have InstallShield professional. It seems that
> >> there is no utility in this version of InstallShield for installing
> >> device driver. Is there?
> >>

> >> What is the simplest way to install a driver when you have the inf file
> >> for the device?
> >>
> >> Is there any tutorial about this?
> >>

> >> Any help appreciated.
> >>

> >> Best regards

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

How about to create an inf file for your device driver and
use a batch containing the command as follow?

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %inf_filename%

And kick this bat from Install Shield.

--
===================
Macnica Networks Corp.

"ma" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an application that needs to install a device driver in the
> target computer among installing other files. I am using InstallShield for
> installation and I have InstallShield professional. It seems that there is
> no utility in this version of InstallShield for installing device driver. Is
> there?
>

> What is the simplest way to install a driver when you have the inf file for
> the device?
>
> Is there any tutorial about this?
>

> Any help appreciated.
>

> Best regards

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Good suggestion but why to write a batch file? why not run rundll32.exe
directly from installshield?
How this instruction is working? what is the parameters and where can I read
more about this?

Best regards

Am 23.06.2005 09:11:03 schrieb Shinogi Syota:

> rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %inf_filename%

This approach does NOT work for hardware PnP INFs.

--
Ralf.