Help wit pc parts (first build)

brunokill

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
I'm trying to build my rig around two HD 7970's in SLI. For my CPU I was thinking about buying an i5 -3670k or an i7 - 3820. I have researched these two CPU it seems that they are similar in performance when it comes to gaming. What do you guys recommend? The 3670k is cheaper so I was thinking I should buy that but I heard somewhere that the i7's are better. If I choose the i5 - 3670k I have a choice out of seven motherboards: ASUS® P8Z77-M ASUS® P8Z77-V LX ASUS® P8Z77-V LK ASUS® P8Z77-V ASUS® P8Z77-V PRO/T-BOLT ASUS® SABERTOOTH Z77 ASUS® MAXIMUS V GENE
Which motherboard would you guys recommend if I were to buy the i5? And does the motherboard really effect gaming performance? I f I were to buy the i7, I have a choice of five motherboards: ASUS® P9X79 LE ASUS® P9X79 ASUS® P9X79 PRO ASUS® SABERTOOTH X79 ASUS® RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
And again what whould you guys recommend if I were to buy the i7.
Now for the RAM. I'm thinking about buying 16 gb of RAM. But there are many different versions at different prices. Ideally I want to buy the best version but I don't know what the differences are. Here are the version I came across
16GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz 16GB SAMSUNG DDR3 1333MHz 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X 1600 16GB HYPERX DDR3 2133MHz 16GB HYPERX BEAST 1866MHz 16GB HYPERX BEAST 2400MHz
Which one is the best one? And is it better to have 2 sticks of 8GB or 4 sticks of 4GB?
Im thinking about getting an 850w power supply, but I don't know what kind of cpu cooler I should get.
If I buy the i5 I have a choice between six different coolers:
Standard Intel Cooler Super Quiet 22dBA Cooler Corsair H40 CPU Cooler Corsair H60 CPU Cooler Corsair H80 CPU Cooler Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
And If I buy the i7 I have a choice between: INTEL SOCKET LG2011 COOLER Super Quiet 22dBA Cooler Corsair H60 CPU Cooler Corsair H80 CPU Cooler Corsair H100 CPU Cooler INTEL LIQUID COOLER
So which one would you recommend for each cpu? I'm thinking of getting the ARCTIC MX-4 thermal paste too.
For my wireless card I would want one that would be able to have a huge range as my room is far away from the router in my house. Should I get a regular card or a dual band card? Would it make a difference in signal strength?
I was thinking of either getting the
HANNS-G HS233H3B 23" 120Hz 3D MONITOR
or
BENQ XL2411T 23.6" 1MS 3D MONITOR
Which monitor do you guys think is better?
Oh and which case do you guys think would be best for these specs and keeping my gpu cool?
I don't care what it looks like on the inside I just want the best parts for the money. I'm looking to keep the PC under £2000 but I will go over the budget if I need to.
Sorry that this was a long post but I would really appreciate some help in answering my questions :)

so under 2000 quid sounds good.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/xoFi
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/xoFi/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/xoFi/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor (£215.00 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0596 88.8 CFM CPU Cooler (£49.38 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard (£154.66 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair XMS 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£118.25 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£67.99 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£72.80 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) (£299.62 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) (£299.62 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case (£91.73 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£141.98 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor (£462.32 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1986.33
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-13 18:02 GMT+0000)

1. If you are gaming on a single 1080P monitor, dual graphics cards does not seem necessary.
With you apparent budget, I would start with a great monitor, running at 2560 x 1440 resolution.
It is one of the few "future proof" pc components you can buy today. I have not tried 3D gaming. It sounds great, but I would do some research first before committing to that. Are there some particular games you will play?

2. For a first time buyer, I would not start out with dual cards.
If you really want such graphics power, go ahead and buy the GTX690. It is essentially two GTX680 cards in sli under the cover.
Yes, the $1000 price tag is high, but you do not need such a strong psu, a sli capable motherboard, or as much case cooling.
As to dual cards, in general, here is my canned rant on that:
-----------------------------Start of rant----------------------------------------------------
Dual graphics cards vs. a good single card.

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX650/ti or 7770 can give you good performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.

A single GTX660 or 7850 will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be good with lowered detail.
A single gtx690 is about as good as it gets.

Only if you are looking at triple monitor gaming, then sli/cf will be needed.
Even that is now changing with triple monitor support on top end cards.

b) The costs for a single card are lower.
You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
Even a ITX motherboard will do.

Your psu costs are less.
A GTX660 needs a 430w psu, even a GTX680 only needs a 550w psu.
When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 150-200w to your psu requirements.

Even the strongest GTX690 only needs 620w.

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
That means a more expensive case with more and stronger fans.
You will also look at more noise.

c) Dual cards do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

d) dual card support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

e) cf/sli up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.
The GTX780 and amd 8000 series are not that far off.
-------------------------------End of rant-----------------------------------------------------------

3. So far as I know, there is no i5-3670K cpu. I think you mean i5-3570K
The 3570K is currently about the best cpu for gaming. Few games use more than 2-3 cores so the extra hyperthreads of the 3770K are of not much use, and the 6 core i7-3930k are not that helpful either.

4. Any Z77 based motherboard will do the job. The value in high priced enthusiast motherboards is for record seeking enthusiasts seeking maximun overclocks.
With a conservative overclock of a 3570K, any quality motherboard will give you all the cpu power you can use.

5. No game, by itself uses more than 2-3gb. 8gb is the normal recommendation. With ram so cheap, I have no problem with 16gb. Buy a 16gb kit of 2 x 8gb. 2 sticks is easier for a motherboard to manage. Buy low profile ram so as not to interfere with any cpu cooler. And there is no real value in ram faster than 1600. Read this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3

6. Buy only a quality psu. A tier 1 or 2 unit from this list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
A single GTX690 will need only a 620w psu.
If you were to go dual 7970 cards, you would need a 800w psu.
It is not wrong to overprovision your psu by 100w or so.

7. Really, a $30 cm hyper212 will do the job. If you want the best, look at the noctua NHD14 or the phanteks coolers @$80. They will be quieter than any all in one liquid coolers. They will cool just as well in a decent case and they stand to be more reliable too.

8. On wireless, I am no expert. But, I suggest that a pci based card with a good antenna stands to be stronger than a usb dongle.

9. Any case with at least two 120mm intake fans , or the equivalent in output will keep your parts cool enough and hold your parts. Cases are a personal thing.
If you value quiet, do some research at www.silentpcreview.com

10. Your build demands a SSD. A 240gb SSD will hold the os and a large number of games. If you ever need overflow space, then add a 1tb hard drive.
All modern SSD's will perform similarly in actual usage. Do not bother with synthetic benchmarks as a selection criteria. They bear no resemblance to how we use the ssd.
My take is to look to Intel or Samsung first for reliability.

brunokill

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Thank yo so much for taking the time to read and reply to my post :)

brunokill

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

It's nice I've taken all your advice into consideration, thank you :)