Assistance with computer build

HywayBo

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I’ve searched through many different threads and I’ve found many discussions that talk about CPUs and motherboard, but I haven’t found a thread that answered my questions.

I am looking to build a system, but have some questions about what’s the best way to go. The computer will start out as my personal home computer doing the normal web surfing, schooling, and heavy online gaming. But, will eventually become a home server running a virtual desktop or possibly a web site.

The system configuration I am thinking about is as follows (this is the start of the build) and I already have my operating system (Win 7 pro):
CPU - dual Xeon E5-2640
Ram - 16GB (to start with)
Hard drives - (up to 4 or 5 internal)
Video card(s) – I was thinking about dual Nvidia GTX 6xx series

Can someone please tell me which motherboard would be able to accommodate this? I would also like it to be expandable to 256GB ram. Will this configuration be a good gaming machine too? If not, what are my options?

I can't recommend a motherboard but I certainly don't think you want 256Gb of RAM - it's serious server stuff and there's no Windows system that could utilise all that memory. A quick Googling tells me that would cost nearly nine grand in US Dollars and probably a lot more in good old British pounds!

HywayBo

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
The computer will eventually become a server, so I was just making sure the capability was there. I figured 32GB of RAM is all I would use till that time came.