Closed Solved

Best graphic card without changing the cabinet

Hi.I am really new to computer hardware stuff.So I'm sorry if I say something wrong.

I recently spent 450$ for upgrading my computer.The only thing that I didn't replace is my graphic card (GeForce 8600 512mb).I wish to replace it with a decent graphic card like a Gtx 560 or 470 or 6850 or any other card which is powerful enough to play Battlefield 3 on ultra.

But the shopkeeper said that I will have to upgrade my PSU (which is 450W as of now) to a more powerful PSU of reputed brands like cooler master or corsair.I said fine.But then he said that I should also change my cabinet because the wires from PSU's of all reputed makes have very thick wires and since my cabinet size is small,it would lead to insufficient cooling and related problems.He then said that the cabinet also needs to be of a reputed make since local brands always make small sized cabinets.He said that the best card that I could fit in the present cabinet would be a hd 7750 1gb.

I really don't have enough cash (around 200$) to spare for the PSU and cabinet.Please suggest the best option for me.Cant I use a cheap PSU of local make? Is it compulsory to change the cabinet? Or at least recommend the best graphic card which can run on a 450w PSU and max out bf3 (if that is even possiblel).Please help me out.

Thanks a lot in advance.I really appreciate your help.
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about best graphic card changing cabinet
  1. A HD 7850 would suit you best.

    whats your PSU and CPU?

    EDIT : Here's the link for the 7850 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102984

    if its going out of budget, you can go with a GTX 650 Ti.
  2. coolermaster_72 said:
    A HD 7850 would suit you best.

    whats your PSU and CPU?

    EDIT : Here's the link for the 7850 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102984

    if its going out of budget, you can go with a GTX 650 Ti.


    First of all,thank you very much for the lightning fast reply.

    My CPU is amd 8150 black edition.
    Motherboard is Asus M97 R2.0,
    8gb DDR3 Ram.
    The PSU is of a local make.I dont remember the name exactly.Its of 450W by the way.

    And I asked him If I can upgrade to 7850 or even a 6850 and he said no.He said that they need 2 separate 6 pin connectors for which I would need a very good PSU.
  3. crysisforce said:
    First of all,thank you very much for the lightning fast reply.My CPU is amd 8150 black edition.The PSU is of a local make.I dont remember the name exactly.Its of 450W by the way.


    Your CPU is good :)

    I would recommend a PSU change too, and whats the PC case you're having?

    EDIT : I'll recommend you a good budget case and a PSU that can handle a decent GPU

    Case : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227

    PSU : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
  4. coolermaster_72 said:
    Your CPU is good :)

    I would recommend a PSU change too, and whats the PC case you're having?

    EDIT : I'll recommend you a good budget case and a PSU that can handle a decent GPU

    Case : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227

    PSU : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027


    I dont live in the US or Europe.So I cant buy the products from the website you mentioned.

    Casing is of a local brand.Odyssey or something.Do I have to change the cabinet if I change the PSU?

    The casing and PSU you mentioned are really good in terms of value for money.I will ask for these in the local market.Thanks a ton for all your suggestions.
  5. specific case and power supply would help. got any pictures of case ?
  6. You do need to change the PSU to run higher end GPU's. A larger case would generally help as well but it doesn't need to be of high quality.

    a 660ti would do battlefield on ultra but a 560 wouldn't. A 570 or equivalent is needed.
  7. crysisforce said:
    I dont live in the US or Europe.So I cant buy the products from the website you mentioned.

    Casing is of a local brand.Odyssey or something.Do I have to change the cabinet if I change the PSU?

    The casing and PSU you mentioned are really good in terms of value for money.I will ask for these in the local market.Thanks a ton for all your suggestions.


    Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were in the US.

    In which country are you in?

    you don't have to change the PC case if you want to change the PSU, but if there is no space for better cable management and cooling. its better to buy the case too IMO
  8. Consider the GTX 660 too :)
  9. I would say 7850/7870 are both better choices than the 660 to be honest.
  10. coolermaster_72 said:
    Consider the GTX 660 too :)


    I cant exceed 1440 x 900 resolution on my monitor.So I think 560 would be enough.And the dimensions of the casing are 41 cm height and 39cm length.I'm sorry I don't have a camera with me or else I would have attached a photo.And I'm from India by the way.I think 660 is out of my budget.The total would go upto 1000$ and thats a lot of money in my country's economy.
  11. so 7850 then :D

    560 isn't enough at all. A 560ti version could only ultra battlefield at 1280x1024. Anything higher than than the you have to drop to high.
  12. Best answer
    yes go with a HD 7850 then :)

    also search in flipcart.com its an indian site like newegg.com :) you will find better deals there than in local shops.

    But first I would recommend that you look in your local shops for prices and then look in flipcart.com, if the price is lower in local shops than the online site, go for it or else vice versa.
  13. 6950 and flash it to 6970.
  14. Best answer selected by crysisforce.
  15. darth pravus said:
    so 7850 then :D

    560 isn't enough at all. A 560ti version could only ultra battlefield at 1280x1024. Anything higher than than the you have to drop to high.


    Oh I didnt know that.So 560 is cancelled.I will save for a few months and finally get a 7850.Thanks for your reply.Much appreciated.
  16. coolermaster_72 said:
    yes go with a HD 7850 then :)

    also search in flipcart.com its an indian site like newegg.com :) you will find better deals there than in local shops.

    But first I would recommend that you look in your local shops for prices and then look in flipcart.com, if the price is lower in local shops than the online site, go for it or else vice versa.


    I know that site.I buy all my games from flipkart. Its the best for games.But hardware prices are costly compared to shops.So I will get a 7850 and a PSU after a few months.Thanks for all your replies.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Graphics Product