New build- Install GFX card = no post??

geforce gtk

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Hello,
I am currently building a pc for a friend but i have a problem..

notes:
I am using HDMI i/o's
by GFX i am referring to graphics card.
Core i7 2700k @ 3.5GHz
gigabyte gt 640 2gb ddr3
3 TB barracuda HDD
blu-ray/dvd W/RW
Gigabyte h61m-d2h-usb3
windows 8 and 7
Kingston 1333MHz ddr3 ram total of 8gb ( i had 12gb but the MB wont support 3 sticks at once)
Coolmaster 350W PSU dual +12v rails @ 20A + CiT 700w (yeah right) 22A dual 12v rails
23" monitor

The Problem.
With onboard HDMI, no gfx card, everything works fine.
With the video card installed, the computer wont POST.
the gfx card fan spins, the cpu fan tries to spin but stops. This repeats until i turn the whole thing off.
Take the card out and everything works again.

Things i have tried to root out:
Put the gfx card into my pc, The card works fine. I can do my usual thing.
put MY radeon 4670 into HIS pc, It boots up fine!!

Bought a CiT PSU (read specs) and same problem.

This lead me to believe its his PSU as mine is a corsair 550W cant remember the amps.
I put my PSU into his setup and STILL nothing..

So it could be the motherboard? but if its the motherboard why does my radeon card work?

Could it be the BIOS settings? what am i looking to change?

Need help asap, he has spent £800 on everything.

ilumunus

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Either DOA, or your motherboard may not support it? maybe try reconnecting it, and unplug computer while you do that. Are you sure he didn't build on carpet and static kill it?

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Have you changed the setting in the bios first,to use the Pci-e graphics card as the primary out put first, then save the settings and place the Pci-e graphics card in the system.
Have you also checked you have plugged the extra 12v plug for extra power to the Cpu, that connector also supplys a bit of extra power to the Pci-e slot at the same time via the board. and make sure any power connectors are connected to the back of the graphics card its self.
Have a check on what amps from the 12v supply rail are needed and if the current Psu can out put enough amps to power the card.
You need to work out the total amp draw of all the compnents using the 12v rail supply also, it will tell you if there is enough left to run the card.

geforce gtk

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Either DOA, or your motherboard may not support it? maybe try reconnecting it, and unplug computer while you do that. Are you sure he didn't build on carpet and static kill it?
I built it myself and first i went barebone on the motherboards cardboard box.

I don't believe its DOA as it works fine on my computer which is an OLD old old motherboard.

Have you changed the setting in the bios first,to use the Pci-e graphics card as the primary out put first, then save the settings and place the Pci-e graphics card in the system
Yes

Have you also checked you have plugged the extra 12v plug for extra power to the Cpu, that connector also supplys a bit of extra power to the Pci-e slot at the same time via the board. and make sure any power connectors are connected to the back of the graphics card its self.
Its in. The card does not require an additional pci-e plug from the PSU.
I set the bios settings to make pci-e primary as well as enable both onboard and pci-e 16x.
It's odd as my 4670 works like plug and play.

Have a check on what amps from the 12v supply rail are needed and if the current Psu can out put enough amps to power the card.
You need to work out the total amp draw of all the compnents using the 12v rail supply also, it will tell you if there is enough left to run the card.
The card requires 20A on +12v.

BUT i put my corsair 550w (one that the card worked with) into my friends pc and i receive the same results.. So it's not the PSU..

I did not know it was possible for a graphics card to be incompatible with a motherboard.
I have sent the card back to the company i bought it from and will be looking for another.

If it is the case of incompatibility, how do i ensure i dont make the same mistake again? its not like manufacturers of mobos have a list of supported cards? or do they?

Thanks for quick response