Sign in with
Your question

Help! Screen Black Out, sounds still playing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2012 1:00:07 PM

Hello!

I'm a lurker to these forums but cannot find a solution to my problem.

I installed a new AMD HD 7750 to my computer after experiencing problems with my last card (an nvidia gt240). I was opting to buy a better card for an upgrade so I went with buying a new card hoping that my problem will be solved.

Now I have installed the card and my screen blacks off randomly (usually under heavy stress, but opening a browser also makes it black out sometimes). Sometimes after booting windows, I couldn't even reach the desktop without having the black out. These are almost the same symptoms as my old card though my old card is really actually crashing with distorted lines and looping sounds)

I experienced this first when testing my new gpu to the windows experience index. At first I thought it is crashing but when I was trouble shooting I realized that I can still hear sounds playing though no visuals can be seen. (I noticed this because I was playing a song off iTunes, then turning on the visualization made the screen black out)

Another trial, my PC was able to boot to the desktop without any visuals but I heard the start up sound and the sfx of plugging a usb device so that proved that only the visuals are busted. Next attempts at rebooting showed the same events and I was not able to see anymore from my screen. Also the fan of the gpu did not turn on.

Out of frustration, I plugged my VGA cable to my on board graphics and screen, when I noticed it worked I unplugged the VGA cable. The graphics card worked and it was working for a while until I tested a more gpu intensive game.

I tried plugging both the VGA and DVI to replicate my last attempt but the graphics card didn't work. Out of curiosity, I unplugged the DVI then to my surprise the VGA worked.

My set up is:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-h61m-ds2
CPU: Intel G630
GPU: AMD Sapphire HD 7750
PSU: Powerchoice 580W (I know its an unknown brand, I replaced the generic psu that gave me troubles earlier this year with this "branded" one. Good PSUs are hard to come by where I live)
RAM: Kingston 4gb ddr3
HDD: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 160GB

All these are 9 months old expect for the new card. Anything I forgot?

I'm suspecting that the PSU is not providing enough power for my card (even though the PSU fairly new)
Another is, I think my mobo is not giving enough power to my PCI-e slot.
Or the on board graphics and the gpu is conflicting as I used my on board graphics for 2 weeks before buying a new GPU and the drivers are conflicting maybe. (I already uninstalled the intel onboard driver)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if my description of my problem is hard to understand. I'd gladly take any questions to further explain my situation.

More about : screen black sounds playing

a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 1:46:33 PM

If the Psu is unbranded, you can bet your life any of the power ratings it says it can output will be the problem, You need to look at the total Amp rating of the 12v rails of the PSU.
How much the cd or dvd drive takes, and the HDD`s and work out what is left in amps to drive the card so it is stable.
m
l
November 29, 2012 2:29:29 PM

I actually don't use dvd or cd drives and my 2nd drive is essential for booting.

My PSU says it has 31A for 12+V rails. Since its not really a known brand, It may have deteriorated by over use(?). I'll ask for the warranty maybe.

I'm also wondering if the pci-e slot may be faulty. Any ideas how to test that or is that even a possible assumption?

I would buy a better PSU but I'm still not very sure which part is at fault here. And my budget is very limited.
m
l
Related resources
!