MSI Radeon 7770 screen goes black after log on

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad101180

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Hey guys,

First time posting to a forum ever. I recently installed an MSI Radeon 7770 into my new build. I connect it to my 60in Sharp LED TV via HDMI. I get video right up until I install the AMD drivers and reboot. When it reboots, my logon screen has black bars along all sides about 2 inches in width. After I enter my password, it displays Windows desktop for about 1 sec and then the screen goes blank. The computer is still running as well as the fan on the video card. No error codes, no lights on the motherboard or card. I can run it in safe mode, but anytime I try to run with the drivers it does the same thing. Not sure if it's an HDMI issue or not, but my mobo has never had any problems displaying via HDMI. Help!

Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Intel i5 3570k
8gb Geil RAM
700W Theramltake PSU

Solution
I had the same problem happen to me with my MSI HD7770 card too. I uninstalled all the amd drivers/programs, reverted to the intel drivers, no problem. I went to AMD's website, installed the lastest drivers/ catalyst program and still the blackscreen problem occurs. Finally I installed the latest beta drivers and the blackscreen problem went away. Since then the issue hasn't come back. The only issue that remains is, from time to time the sound will hiccup. I know this is also due to the beta driver since my HDTV is only connected via hdmi and the hiccup issue only began to occur after installing the beta driver. Hopefully this will be fixed in the official release of the driver. My setup is a 3.4 ghz i7 3770k, 12 gb ram, x77 series...

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
First of all running the system in safe mode will not run the Ati drivers for the card, it will use stock windows display drivers.
Obviously something has gone wrong with the install of the graphics driver when installing it in normal windows mode, make sure when you run the driver setup, that you right click on the Install icon and run as an admin. uninstall the last installation of the drivers first though.

mad101180

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I didn't run it in administrative mode, but then I didn't think it mattered since I was able to revert back to my Intel 4000 drivers with no problems.

leegend01

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
I had the same problem happen to me with my MSI HD7770 card too. I uninstalled all the amd drivers/programs, reverted to the intel drivers, no problem. I went to AMD's website, installed the lastest drivers/ catalyst program and still the blackscreen problem occurs. Finally I installed the latest beta drivers and the blackscreen problem went away. Since then the issue hasn't come back. The only issue that remains is, from time to time the sound will hiccup. I know this is also due to the beta driver since my HDTV is only connected via hdmi and the hiccup issue only began to occur after installing the beta driver. Hopefully this will be fixed in the official release of the driver. My setup is a 3.4 ghz i7 3770k, 12 gb ram, x77 series mono, 775 watt dablotek psu. Hippugaug tv tuner. BD drive.

Solution

mad101180

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Yep! I did the same thing. Figured what the heck, let's try those betas. I also get the sound hiccup. Kind of a nuisance, requiring a system reboot usually, but otherwise it's all good. Running everything on high or ultra without any overclocking. I'm happy camper. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.