Sign in with
Your question

(help, 1st build) Gigabyte Z77X-D3H + PNY GTX 550 ti = beware

Last response: in Systems
January 13, 2013 5:34:51 PM

purpose:
#1. warn other 1st time builders (like myself) of the potential problems with this build.
#2. try to get help diagnosing & trouble-shooting the problem(s).
#3. document my progress & post updates to help others

brand-new parts used:
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H 8-pin rev1.1 w/ bios F15
Graphics: PNY GTX 550 ti
CPU Fan: MASSCOOL 8W2002F1M4 90mm Long Life Bearing Copper Base
Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model 997018
Optical DvD: Lite-On Model IHAS324
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM
Hard Drives: two Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM
Case: Cougar Challenger

Re-used parts from old computer:
Power Supply: Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply with Three 12V Rails
acer AL1916W monitor
BENQ keyboard
Basic Logitec Mouse

WHY ?
The video display stopped working on my old computer: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 500Mb, Asus P5N-E SLI lga 775 board, Intel Dual Core 6400 @ 2.13GHz, 4 GB RAM

Originally, i had bought a cheapy Nvidia card from Amazon for about $60, but that didn't work, so either they sent me a bad card, or the PCI-e slot on the motherboard was bad ?

The 8800 GTX had a lifetime warranty from BFG Tech, but they went out of business.

So... i thought it was time for a new computer anyways, so i did my build on PCPartpicker.com... i decided to change my RAM & board last second: different RAM to save a little money... and i changed from an ASRock Extreme (4 or 6, don't remember) to the Gigabyte Z77X-D3H in case i wanted to try out Mac OS X (Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion), because i read on TonyMac that Gigabyte motherboards have the best compatibility.

I had also planned to install Linux Mint 14... Actually, i really wanted to ONLY go with Linux for my new computer, but the deciding factor was that i don't know enough Linux to be able to determine if all the parts are working as they should be. (Mainly, i wouldn't be able to tell if the Graphics Card was working as-intended).

The Problems:

Error Code 0xC0000005
Error Code 0x80070570

During Windows installation... but i think updating the BIOS from F15 to F16 solved this problem ? But i think changing BIOS settings from AHCI to IDE was a work-around eventho the board doesn't physically have IDE connectors... Gigabyte says that IDE is "normal mode" and AHCI makes the drives hot-swappable while the computer is turned on... Their website has a couple of pre-installation drivers, but dude on the phone said you only use those if Windows doesn't reconize your hard drives... Which, it saw one... but didn't see the other... Luckily, i was able to use my Linux CD and format with gparted to get Windows to "see" the 2nd WD Blue.

Also, i had to take the 550 ti card out in order to install Windows... i used the integrated HD 4000 graphics to install windows... Gigabyte says that you don't need to disable integrated graphics because i'm using an Express slot (PCI-e)... and you only disable integrated graphics for a regular pci slot (i guess).

Anyways, i ran the computer on the integrated graphics for a couple of days to make sure it was stable before trying the GTX 550 ti card again... Well, it seemed to be 100% prefectly okay, so i decided to install the the graphics card...

i had problems whether i used the CD driver or the lastest 310.90 version... At 1st, it would continually tell me that Windows Explorer has stopped working... Basically, windows was NOT usable... Firefox also crashed. Internet Explorer also crashed... And i had the BSOD (Blue Screen Stop Error).

Some tutorials said that i could diagnosis Blue Screens with a debugger that came with Microsoft Development(or Driver) Kit... But the Kit/debugger wouldn't install in Safe Mode.

So... i figure i just restore the computer using the system image on the 3rd hard drive (250 GB, one from my old computer). HUGE MISTAKE... Basically, the Backup & Restore Windows utility looked like it was doing it's job fine... but when it restarted, there was some kind of hard drive error...

Pointing the finger
So basically, we can't point the finger at
#1. RAM
#2. physical motherboard (or its BIOS settings/version)
#3. graphics card (physically or driver)
#4. hard drive(s)
#5. power supply

But Gigabyte said it's unlikely that it's the hard drives (since i tried both... And i guess having two BAD hard drives is unlikely... i also ran check disk to confirm)... i really thought it was the graphics card, BUT i finally did get a BSOD w/o using the graphics card.

Actually, the 1st thing i did when i started to encounter problems was run memtest86+ for over two hours, and two passes (had no errors)... It said that it tested the whole 16GB (two sticks that are 8 GB each)... Gigabyte said to test with only one stick at a time... but i thought you only do this if you get errors... And testing with one stick at a time is supposed to determine which stick is the cause ?

Temperatue:
The temp in the BIOS starts at about 36 degrees Celcius... and maxes out at about 41 C... In Windows, with CoreTemp, it averages about 33 C with no load... Max reading is about 50 C altho with Prime95, it goes over 70 C... So i do know that i need better cooling... but i was scared to buy a really large heat-sink and have it block off parts of the motherboard (like RAM slots or PCI-e slot).

Final thoughts:
i think the next step is to retest the RAM... But after that, i'm kinda at a loss... Who should i call for help ? Gigabyte ? PNY ? Microsoft ? Should i just spend money to have a local computer store fix it ?

Thanks
January 13, 2013 6:04:43 PM

Take the graphics card out , and run off the integrated again

run through your BIOS setting everything to default
Update the BIOS if needed

Try another graphics card . You have a cheap model in the last build
m
l
January 13, 2013 6:26:59 PM

Actually, one of the thoughts that i had... was to take the GTX 550 and put it in someone else's computer: if it's fine, then by process of elimination we can rule that out as the problem... BUT if it causes a Blue Screen Stop Error in the 2nd computer, (one with known working parts + drivers), then we can pretty much conclusively identify a problem with the graphics card: whether it's physical or driver related, who knows ?

Or, put someone's known working graphics card into this new build and see if that fixes the problem ? either way...

Same thing could probably be done with other parts too, like memory... I just gotta find someone willing to temporarily swap parts with me... in order to help diagnose the problem (in this manner).
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2013 7:02:52 PM

your problem is not with mb/ram/cpu etc
You have already run them and they are fine

Try the integrated graphics again and if that works.......
Try another gpu in your new build .
probably the one from your old computer since you have it at hand
m
l
January 13, 2013 9:58:36 PM

http://s334.beta.photobucket.com/user/Badnarik/library/...

There's some pics of the 8800 GTS... it has 2 DVI-I ports... those pics are when the monitor is plugged into the port closest to the motherboard... the other port just has a blank screen.

Side note: my computer does make a sound like it's being turned off, but doesn't... i'm guessing it's one of the fans ?

Btw, i'm in safe mode right now (using integrated graphics)... gonna make sure i have all my drivers installed...

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4...

the ones with the motherboard CD have a self-installer... but i don't know how to update them because the ones off their site are just files (without an installer).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-128-...

in the above link to NewEgg Feedback... that guy claimed that "The Intel RAPID Storage Technology and GIGABYTE On-Off Switch drivers were the main causes of random BSODs after several reinstalls."

So i was careful to avoid those... And got it stable... altho on my lastest re-installation... when i skipped those two... i think skipping some others may have caused instability...

And for some of the drivers, i wasn't completely sure what they were for... I'll have to call up Gigabyte tomorrow and ask them... I was gonna list them, but the setup.exe doesn't wanna run in safe mode i guess.

As it stand right now, it looks like imma have to RMA the GTX 550 ti back to NewEgg and look for a different graphics card...

Anyone know a card that's good with Linux ?

m
l
January 16, 2013 12:46:33 PM

a local computer shop said the graphics card was "good" because they powered it on for 5 minutes. lol... that gave me little confidence.

luckily, my cousin put my GTX 550 ti into his computer... and he said it works.

So now, i'm thinking power supply... i don't have a multimeter, so imma look around for a local shop that will test it.
m
l
January 17, 2013 1:11:43 AM

i tested the power supply with a multimeter... i tested the 24-pin, the 4-pin (eventho i don't use it), the 8-pin, and all the Molex wires... The only thing i didn't test were the SATA power cables (because those pins are so small)...

Everything tested good... the only thing that was cause for concern was pin #14 of the 24-pin connector... it tested -11.12... lower than the -12V that it should be... but according to Tim Fischer, the tolerance on the negative ones are plus or minus 10%... so it can go as low as -10.800 VDC.

Here's the links i used for the tolerance values & a guide for testing with a multimeter:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/insidethepc/a/power-suppl...
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/power-...

So at this point, everything tested good... but i still can't install the graphics card because it will give errors in Windows 7... eventually leading to the Blue Screen or Death...

So i'm thinking maybe it's the PCI-e slot on the motherboard ?

i think i'll run memtest86+ again until i figure out what my next step should be.

Any help is much appreciated.
m
l
January 17, 2013 4:23:30 PM

my intel i5-3570k is running at 3800 MHz in the BIOS... could this be the source of some of my problems ? Should i set it to 3400 MHz ?

Switching the graphics card (GTX 550 ti) from the PCI-e x16 slot to the PCI-e x8 slot temporarily got rid of my problems for about an hour or two.

But now i'm getting errors & BSOD again.
m
l
January 17, 2014 12:14:31 AM

Kinda seems to me like a power supply issue, like not enough wattage being delivered to be able to power the rest of the system and the card at the same time.
m
l
January 17, 2014 9:01:47 AM

jeremyp79 said:
Kinda seems to me like a power supply issue, like not enough wattage being delivered to be able to power the rest of the system and the card at the same time.

You're saying the power supply was good, right ? You're just saying it didn't have enough output for the parts ? I'm pretty sure that I gave all my old parts to my nephew... And I think he's using the old power supply... I'll ask and make sure. Altho, his setup is going to have different power supply requirements than this one.

I really think there were multiple issues going on with this build, which made it harder to diagnose. I didn't think I would be able to conclusively track down the cause(es) before the 30-day return policy had ended (busy with work)... So I RMA'd everything except the CPU and case. And I got different parts instead.

The people that I bought the hard drives from said that the hard drives were "faulty"... But i'm pretty skeptical of their claims since i sent them back in one of the linux formats... And they probably assumed they were faulty because Windows couldn't "see" them. lol. But who knows. Maybe they really were faulty.

Here's my new build that works prefectly:
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
Motherboard: AS Rock LGA 1155 Z77 Pro4
Memory: Corsair XMS3 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1333 MHz (PC3 10666)
Graphics: EVGA GeForce 660
Hard Drive: Western Digital Black 1 TB
Case: Cougar Challenger
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 850W

I must admit that I was kinda sad to return the Gigabyte motherboard because it looked so sweet (high quality construction & nice BIOS). But the AS Rock one works fine. And yeah, as you can see, I did get a more powerful power supply in case that was one of the causes.
m
l
January 17, 2014 2:14:05 PM

The reason i was saying power supply was everything else seemed to work fine until the graphics card was installed... and the graphics card was tested independantly of all the other parts. That and the fact that it had trouble in 2 different pci slots makes me think that it was some kind of power issue. While the voltage on the power supply read in acceptable levels, if there was some issue with the overall wattage of the system, the addition of the graphics card could push the power supply past its limits. Not trying to say that the system was using more than the 550watts advertised on the power supply, but rather some fault in its manufacture made it unable to provide as many watts as advertised.
Either way, I guess it's a moot point. Glad you got a new system all built, and it's working properly. Enjoy :-)
m
l
!