Best sub $200 MOBO combo?

linkgx1

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Hey, I've been searching for a good MOBO/Processor combo and I'm kind of stuck. I'm thinking about building my own PC. But. I'm debating between an A8 AMD QUADCORE processor or an i3/i5 processor with a motherboard for a round $200. My computer will be mostly used for school (especially with content creation like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) and some gaming (if I have time). Any good ones for $200. I'm not a brand fanboy and I'm getting two different stories from my uncle (Intel fanboy) and my coworker (AMD).

My uncle has built his computer with a Core i7 (might do that down the road) but my co worker has built his with an amd FX (not sure which one). Of course my friend says AMD is much more stable. But I honestly have no clue.

please help.

svengeguttensen

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Are you planning on using a discrete graphics card (e.g. NVIDIA's GTX-6xx / AMD's Radeon 7xxx) or on-board graphics? That will really make a difference in terms of what combination to get. Right now Intel's chips have superior performance except when it comes to the built-in GPU. Since you didn't make your intentions clear, I'll give you two answers that will maximize your $200:

If you're going to use the CPU's integrated graphics, your best choice would likely be AMD's A10-5800K + an inexpensive A85X motherboard.

If you're going to use a discrete graphics card, you'd be better off with Intel's i3-3220 + a B75/H77 motherboard (assuming that you're not overclocking).

Both options would push up to the very edge of your budget, but it's always better to "get it right" the first time in terms of performance.

linkgx1

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

Sorry, I'll be eventually putting a secrete card (more than likely Nvidia) in my rig..down the road.

The A10/A85 and a discrete GPU kinda games the same as a $140 highest end i3, the biggest difference between the two is a $100 A85 board has features and connectivity seen on $300 Z77 platforms and is very flexible and adaptive compared to the rather uninspiring H61/77or B75 platforms.

I also run my one APU setup with a discrete HD7850 and just switch between igpu and discrete using Lucid MVP to suit the work loads. With the APU's money is well spent on fast memory, DDR3 2400 is a good investment to make, taken RAM SPD's to 3000mhz and the FPS improvement is significant the higher the memory speeds go.

The other alternative is a lower cost fX 4300 or 4170 on a gigabyte 970fX UD3 platform. While intel may just edge out theoretical performance it is all largely negated by underwhelming budget platforms that you would feel guilty giving your grand mother. At a budget AMD is undisputed king of value.

linkgx1

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

So an A10? Makes things interesting. What about an the A10 vs A8/FX series?