First Computer build gone wrong?

Simplejoee

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hi guys,

Well as Christmas was coming, I thought to myself I've always wanted to build my own gaming computer, so I took the plunge! Everything went well, got all the correct parts delivered, had knowledgeable people help me on the specifications and was looking promising. Then came the build, everything went smoothly and all the latest drivers and everything else were installed. Now, here comes my issue, basically I'm not exactly a computer expert, so I have no idea if I've done something wrong installing, or my components are just not up to spec. Firstly here are my specs for my computer:

Cpu: Amd Phenom II x4 @3.4ghz
Gpu: NVIDIA GTX 660 Twin Frozr OC 2GB
Ram: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
Psu: 650W EVGA SuperNova
Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer A30
HDD: 1TB Cavier Green
Op: Windows 7 Ultimate

The problem, well as I've said I'm not sure if I've chosen the wrong components to build together, but I'm pretty sure I'm not getting the frames per second in games as I should. I've read about different problems such as maybe there's a bottleneck somewhere, I'm not getting enough usage from my gpu e.t.c. But I've tested my computer out compared to a friends on Call of duty 4, I know it's not the best for benchmarking, but anyway. Well I've noticed the frames my friend is able to hit with a 6950 2GB edition, and his literally puts mine to shame. I've read some forums, and from what I can make out my card should be on par at least, or pushing out more fps? I've also compared to Skyrim, Need for speed Most Wanted 2, and they all show the same outcome. I haven't given much information, but seriously guys any help would be appreciated if you know anything at all, I just honestly expect more from my build, and I know it's possible.

Thanks,

Joe.

are the game resolution and image setting the same?

have you compared your result with online benchmarks for your graphics card?

Do you have vSync enabled in your driver ? [ you should but it will be capping the game refresh to the speed the monitor refreshes ]

Simplejoee

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Yes, I've checked and there is no difference in our resolutions (1900 x 1200).

I have compared yes, before I chose this graphics card I went through review after review after review, watched linus tech tips on youtube doing a benchmark video of my card, and on skyrim with everything turned to ultra he seemed to get around 85fps average, i get about 50?

I don't have that enabled, as I've turned off v-sync to try and find out what the maximum fps I can get is on each particular game.

Simplejoee

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Hmm that kinda sucks. I saw in some other forums that overclocking could remove the bottleneck? Only thing is, my cpu now is so god damn hot. Running MW2 in the background and typing this I'm at 46, so I take it water cooling would be preferred if overclocking takes place.

Also one other thing, you may not know, nor do I..but would I be entitled to a refund/exchange for another cpu, I got everything from scan.co.uk, and wondering if I called them up I could change things around a little.

Thanks

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
As previously said, the Phenom II is causing a bottleneck, quite a big one too. After upgrading from a high end model of an Athlon II to an i5 3750k which is overclocked at 4.4, my framerates have almost doubled in some cases and are much more stable. I have managed to get BF3 locked at 60 FPS on ultra. My video card is a HD7950, overclocked to the performance of a HD7970.

I hope Scan will swap the CPU and motherboard for you, but don't count on it, but that is your problem. Overclocking will not help the bottleneck much, a current generation processor would, L3 cache, etc

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Sounds normal, that's not really hot. If you're worried, pick up a CNPS9900 Max, it will perform just as good at water cooling and is much cheaper.

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Mine is overclocked with tweaked voltage etc and hits 50 degrees (I think) in Prime95, and that's in the winter in a cold room, it doesn't bother me. Worry when you start to get temperatures steady above 85-90 degrees celc

Simplejoee

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

I'm pretty sure it's not a bottleneck at all, I've tried my card in my friends computer and I get the same, if not worse performance. Might just be that this card is very falsely advertised and overpriced.

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
An AMD CPU from (2 generations ago?) is likely to cause a bottleneck, and that's coming from personal experience. Find out the test setup used for the card in reviews. Also, what frame rates are you getting in whats games at what settings?

Simplejoee

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Hmm you could be right then, thinking about it he has the Phenom x6 1090T@3.2ghz and he's had it for some time now. I do appreciate you taking time to comment, I'm just trying to be skeptical about these solutions.

Here's a few tests I've done so far: DiRT 3: Average 65fps (Maxed out)
Skyrim: Average 50-55fps (Maxed out)
Arma 2: Average 30fps (Maxed out)
Need for speed MW 2012: Average 40fps (Maxed out)
Assasins Creed 3: Average 40fps (Maxed out)

All of the above games are played at 1900 x 1200 resolution, with every box ticked to the maximum option. With fraps recording my fps drops about 10-20%. Also, I've dropped my resolition to 720p in these games, and pretty much see no difference in my fps even with the graphics options turned down to low.

Your CPU isn't a bottleneck at all. I had one in my system(before upgrade to i3) with my 7870 (better than 660) and it didn't bottleneck a thing. Have you updated to the most recent nVidia drivers? The phenom your friend has is actually less good for gaming. It is not your CPU.

Simplejoee

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Yes, there was an update not so long ago that I've installed. Downloaded from the NVidia website in the first place also. Hmm it's just quite frustrating, I know this graphics card should be pushing my fps up more, I've seen various benchmarks online, different set ups, but still. Also it's all on stock, nothing up too high that should effect my fps too much.

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Hmm from what you said about your FPS, seems about normal for a 660 running max settings, AA, shadows, tessellation, post-processing etc.

TRENDING THREADS