Sign in with
Your question

Annoying USB issues

Last response: in Systems
January 13, 2013 7:44:44 PM

Here are my Specs:

Mobo: MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
PSU: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V Modular
RAM: PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
HDD 1: OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC
HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N550WF2-1GI GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5
CPU: AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor

The Problem: Some of the USBs randomly cut in and out. I tried shutting off the power option in windows that "Allows the computer to turn off the device to save power". Still happens. So I upped the Voltage on the SB to 1.5, still happened so upped to 1.55, still so upped to 1.6. Stopped there because I read that was the "max" before damage can occur. Decided to replace the motherboard (the one in my specs is the current not the original) and that didn't fix it. Installed a fresh copy of the OS, even put one on the secondary HDD and tried that one out as well. Still didn't help. Bought a new power supply (wanted a modular one anyway...) but that didn't help either.

This is driving me nuts because it makes my headphones, mouse, wireless adapter, keyboard, etc... cut out which is not fun when you're gaming...

I uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers when I redid the OS and it didn't change anything. There is also an additional PCI device I bought that allows me to plug in the USB 3.0s on the front of the case as well as 2 USB 3.0 in the back, but I got that after the problem was already occurring...

I took a picture of the Device Manager screen because I think that might have something to do with it. It has a lot more entries than my other build which doesn't have this problem. Here is a link to the picture: http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt254/davpolitics/CO...

Please help me get rid of this issue, its driving me insane!! Thank you sooooo much!

More about : annoying usb issues

January 13, 2013 7:49:06 PM

That looks fine. Does it happen from the ports on your case or from the back of the motherboard as well?
m
l
January 13, 2013 11:14:26 PM

It could be that one of your usb devices is faulty causing problems across the usb bus. Try running a ps2 mouse and usb keyboard or vice versa and see if the problem still occurs. If it doesn't, keep adding usb devices one at a time until the problem appears.
m
l
January 13, 2013 11:36:01 PM

It happens more often on the mobo ports, but it also happens on the PCI slot and front case USBs as well @ get.

@finn - I looked into some of the newegg reviews on the usb components I use and one of the reviews of the wireless adapter mentioned a problem that is "similar" to the problems I've been experiencing so I think that will be my next test...Crazy how one little problem can create so much havoc...I'll update everyone if it fixes it or not.
m
l
!