Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GtX 580 good enough 4 3d?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2012 6:48:34 PM

Hey

I'm upgrading my monitor, and I've really been considering getting a 3d one. My only concern is if my computer (as is) would be able to play 3d games (With the settings turned to max)

i currently have the EVGA GTX 580 Superclocked (believe it has 1536 MB of video memory)

sandybridge i7 processor

8 gigs of ram

-Would i need another graphics card in SLI to handle this? And if not how long do you think my system would last before needing an update in the graphics department?

Thanks!

More about : gtx 580 good

a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 6:52:24 PM

Well on 3D u can easily get more than 2Gb Vram use. So that 1.5 should bneck. There is another thread check it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 6:54:00 PM

What type of 3D are you looking for?
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2012 8:17:00 PM

Alright so what I've read from the forums is that 1.5 Gb of VRam is not enough

-Not sure what type of 3d, as I haven't found the monitor I want yet

So if I bought a second gtx 580 in SLI, that had say 2Gb's of V ram, would this make of for the first card, or would the first card somehow bottleneck it? (sorry new to SLI)

Although I was hoping to wait at least another year before buying another 580 card (From what I've seen on newegg, they're not much cheaper than the 680's)

Also I plan on using only one monitor for gaming
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 9:06:18 PM

peterson99 said:
Alright so what I've read from the forums is that 1.5 Gb of VRam is not enough

-Not sure what type of 3d, as I haven't found the monitor I want yet

So if I bought a second gtx 580 in SLI, that had say 2Gb's of V ram, would this make of for the first card, or would the first card somehow bottleneck it? (sorry new to SLI)

Although I was hoping to wait at least another year before buying another 580 card (From what I've seen on newegg, they're not much cheaper than the 680's)

Also I plan on using only one monitor for gaming

If you get a 3GB GTX 580, your VRAM will still be 1.5GB. I would just sell your GTX 580 and get 670 in SLI if possible.
m
l
November 29, 2012 9:31:17 PM

http://www.overclock.net/t/1296726/is-1-5gb-vram-enough...

From what I'm reading 1.5 Gb of VRam should be sufficient for now

I understand everything may not be able to run on ultra, but sounds like it should run on high

Also I'm only running one monitor for gaming (around a 23 inch monitor I'm looking at)

shouldn't 1.5 last at least a year?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 9:33:22 PM

3D uses much more VRAM than 2D.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 10:16:49 PM

peterson99 said:
sorry never read that article properly

but again I'm reading mixed reports on this
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/345398-33-will-vram-p...

"1920x1080 will be fine on 1.5GB of VRAM even with AA, " (hunter315)

Once again, it depends on what type of 3D you are going for. If you are going for the 120Hz 3D, you are going to need at least another 580 for acceptable framerates.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 10:33:32 PM

prototype18 said:
Well on 3D u can easily get more than 2Gb Vram use. So that 1.5 should bneck. There is another thread check it.

I use 3D Vision a lot. I used it on 470's and 680's and never ran info VRAM issues. I've used it on a lot of different games. 3D Vision does not seem to need much more VRAM than 2D. That said, you'll likely not go with any AA. Without AA, games don't use as much VRAM as is. With a single 580, to get good fps, AA will not be an option. You will likely have to play at lower settings than you are used to, but it is still pretty awesome.
m
l
November 29, 2012 10:33:51 PM

I would think that a GTX 580 should do 3d fine in most titles depending on the settings.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 10:35:00 PM

Expect a 40% loss in FPS at the same settings as 2D.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 11:37:51 PM

Keep in mind, only one of those games hit 1.5gb, and just because it hits 1.5gb doesn't mean a slow down. Games often can tighten their memory management, when hitting the limit. Also realize that this will only happen with extremely high settings, which you won't be able to do on a single 580.
m
l
November 30, 2012 9:32:30 PM

haha this is what I meant by conflicting reports. Or should I say the answer depends on which game I'm running?

But what I'm taking away from this, is that I will be able to run 3D with my 580 card. (perhaps not on ultra settings for many games)

^ when you say a loss of %40 in fps, is this due to the VRam?

running CS GO (high settings) I can average anywhere from aprox. 200 - 300 fps = aprox. 80 - 120 (minus 40% for 3d).

Witcher 2 i got aprox. 70 - 90 fps on high settings (not ultra) Not really playable on high settings

so basically, I see no reason why I couldn't run 3D. IMO testing every game is a flawed test, as many games are simply bad console ports (horrible programming in terms of memory management). In which case I just won't run in 3D (at 60 HTz anyways)

m
l

Best solution

a c 216 U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 10:29:42 PM

peterson99 said:
haha this is what I meant by conflicting reports. Or should I say the answer depends on which game I'm running?

But what I'm taking away from this, is that I will be able to run 3D with my 580 card. (perhaps not on ultra settings for many games)

^ when you say a loss of %40 in fps, is this due to the VRam?

running CS GO (high settings) I can average anywhere from aprox. 200 - 300 fps = aprox. 80 - 120 (minus 40% for 3d).

Witcher 2 i got aprox. 70 - 90 fps on high settings (not ultra) Not really playable on high settings

so basically, I see no reason why I couldn't run 3D. IMO testing every game is a flawed test, as many games are simply bad console ports (horrible programming in terms of memory management). In which case I just won't run in 3D (at 60 HTz anyways)

Most people who give a report on the subject have never used it, so they are speculating.

The reason you lose 40% of your FPS, is because your system has to render twice as many frames, one frame for each eye. In most games at least (Crysis 2 uses some sort of virtual 3D mode). Some of the info is shared in the image, like physics and AI, but the rendering of the frames are done from 2 different perspectives, so it has to be done twice.

Because of the loss of FPS, you will not be playing at ultra settings with all the AA turned up, and you will not run into vram issues, at least in every game I've played using 470's, which have less vram than the 580. I played Skyrim, Metro 2033, Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2, The Witcher 2, Titan Quest, Batman AA and some others I don't remember, and none of those ran into issues with vram. Though some games required me to lower settings a lot, just because the extra processing done to use 3D Vision.

Now one more thing you need to know. A lot of games do not play nice with 3D, mostly because the dev's were too lazy to support it. That said, there is a modding community that has fixed a lot of games and have provided us with fixes, and a tool to do your own fixes if you so choose to go that far.
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist
November 30, 2012 10:37:49 PM

^ Thanks, this is the information I was looking for.

As far as a lack of 3D support in games, I'm hoping this will be solved with 3D support in next gen. consoles. but I'm sure I can live with this (3D's more of an added feature for me, not a must have)

m
l
November 30, 2012 10:37:56 PM

Best answer selected by peterson99.
m
l
!