HELP! My Laptop Resolution is Wrong!

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
Ok, title says most of it. So I updated my computer (it updates itself and annoys the heck out of me to restart so I did). I don't know what went wrong, but the screen resolution got smaller! It was supposed to be 1280x800, but it is actually 720p, which is NOT the correct resolution. This happened to me before, so I decided to fix the screen resolution by going to the control panel of intel GMA, and went to the display options, and I saw something jaw dropping. Usually, when this happens, it says it's a lower resolution so I just select a higher resolution and BAM! It's fixed, but this time, it says my computer is in 1280x800, which is definitely not correct. I honestly don't know what's going on, please help. I already restored my computer before the update and it didn't help, so please suggest something else if you were about to suggest that.

Solution
Once the screen capture has been saved, you can right click it select Properties and check the "Details" tab to see the size.

If you use start search and type DPI(Windows 7. Vista users have to enter the control panel then search. XP has to go into the control panel to get to the settings[Appearance and Themes-> Display].), you will get some options for scaling. 100% should be default. Any higher and things get bigger.

EDIT to your update, better check that dpi setting.

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
Nope, the icons got smaller, so did the taskbar, so did the whole screen. And yes Intel GMA still says my resolution is correct, 1280x800, which is definitely not true, it looks more like 720p, not 800p. At least according to intel GMA it says it's 1280x800, all this time I knew it was supposed to be bigger, not smaller, as it is now

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012

How do I check the size of it? Anyways, I told you, the screen resolution is smaller than it's supposed to be, but Intel GMA still says it's the same resolution as it was before.I honestly don't know what's wrong. I don't even know what the dpi scaling is, if you can tell me how to fix it

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
UPDATE: Ok, I just found out something REALLY *beep*ing wierd. I took a screenshot like nukemaster told me to do, pasted it on paint, and guess what paint said? It said the resolution was 1280x800. What in the world is going on!? It is not the correct resolution, the icons are bigger, so is the taskbar, so I couldn't have changed the icons to look bigger!

Once the screen capture has been saved, you can right click it select Properties and check the "Details" tab to see the size.

If you use start search and type DPI(Windows 7. Vista users have to enter the control panel then search. XP has to go into the control panel to get to the settings[Appearance and Themes-> Display].), you will get some options for scaling. 100% should be default. Any higher and things get bigger.

EDIT to your update, better check that dpi setting.

Solution

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
Windows 7, Home Premium, 32 bit
Another thing. Do you think it could be a hardware problem with my laptop monitor? I mean, I've had this laptop for over 8 years, (it was actually pre-owned by my uncle). So anyways, I haven't noticed a single symptom on this laptop until this incorrect resolution problem, other than the hard drive that failed, it worked for over 6 years, I couldn't expect any better. Now I have a WD Scorpio Blue 320GB Hard drive

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
OMG NUKER! You're right! I remember messing with those settings, and I remember selecting MEDIUM just for fun, and didn't log off. I usually put my computer into hibernation when I'm not using it, restart it when I need to. Ok, thank you man, thanks a bunch. Now I'm gonna log off and see if choosing 100% (from 125%) fixes the prob.