MB - Z77 Sabertooth
RAM - 8gb G.Skill Sniper 1600
Zalman CNPS9900 MAX cpu cooler
video card - GTX 570
180gb Intel SSD
power supply 650w BFG
Antec 900 case

My question is:
I'm considering buying an additional GTX 570 (for around $200) to SLI until the 7 series is released (and skipping the 6 series altogether). Or would it be better to simply sell the GTX 570 and use that money to buy a GTX 670? The way I see it the price would be about the same, and from what I've seen two GTX 570's would outperform one GTX 670 in most things.

Thoughts, recommendations?

Solution
GTX 570 is enough for this year. So, wait till next gen arrives.
It will be a waste to buy another GTX 570, it is a powerful card to play games of this gen and the next. But as you want to upgrade your pc, you should wait and get the next gen cards.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That PSU would be really pushing it for 2 GTX 570s. The 570 will require 219W maxed out. That relates to about 18.25A on the +12V rail for each card. With 2 20A +12V rails, you will be running the PSU at near 100% with the other +12V components. When gaming, you will probably get re-boots or shut downs. Besides, the PSU only has 2 PCIe power cables... a sure sign it wasn't intended for 2 cards that require 2 power cables each.

Sumukh_Bhagat

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
GTX 570 is enough for this year. So, wait till next gen arrives.
It will be a waste to buy another GTX 570, it is a powerful card to play games of this gen and the next. But as you want to upgrade your pc, you should wait and get the next gen cards.

Solution

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

I agree completely. +1

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

As Sumukh_Bhaga referenced earlier, I could probably have stayed with a single 570 and been fine. But, with both cards, even the most demanding games play at high frame rates at max settings at 1920x1080. BF3 maxed out, Max Payne 3 maxed out, etc. My i5-2500K isn't even O/C'd anymore, and the cards are running on X8, X8 slots.

My biggest sigh of relief was when I discovered that micro-stutter is a non-issue with these higher-end cards. Could be that Nvidia has good drivers, I suppose.

I keep longing for one (or 2) of the newer Nvidia or AMD cards, but always end up with the same answer; Why? :??:

jmachej

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Appreciate the feedback everyone, I think I'll probably hold off on the second 570 (and new PSU) until I run into a game where I find the performance lacking. Otherwise I'll just wait for the 770.

Thanks all!

Thanks for the answer! Yea, I play at that resolution as well, but I find the GTX460 I have lacking, and I have a system that could use one. I was also worried about the microstutter, but it seems as if you do not have that problem. I will probably have to lower the O/C on my 2500K just to save power for the cards and my power supply, which is only a 750W (which has enough power and connectors to run the cards)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I had a pair of HD 6850s before moving to the 570s. M-S was extremely bad in several games! So, I know what it looks like and what to look for. Not a bit with these 2 cards in any game. If you have a good quality 750W PSU, I don't think you'd have any issues with your 2 570s. Do you have any idea what the CPU is drawing in watts when O/C'd? I had mine at 4.2GHZ for quite awhile, but don't remember what the difference was on my Kill-a-Watt meter.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I've read good things about FSP PSUs. With 720W of power available on the +12V rails, you should have no power issues with 2 570s and an O/C'd CPU.

Latest posts